[Edited] Chapter 31

----------

Tang Candy woke up from her lunch break and looked out the window, noticing the steady stream of people coming in and out of her store. Her shop had become quite popular in Homesick City. Deciding to prepare for the next wave of customers, she entered her game to gather ingredients. She picked a lot of milk fruits, sugar dandelions, dark chocolate grass, and decided to take a chance on the raffle wheel.

After a hundred draws, she accumulated ninety-nine fragrant jī bones and unexpectedly drew a stinky salted fish. The description mentioned it was extremely smelly, capable of stunning people within ten meters, except for those holding the fish. Tang Candy decided against using it and focused on processing the ingredients for new snacks in her backyard.

-------------

Meanwhile, Boss Zheng, who had recently purchased a batch of popular nutrient solutions, returned to Homesick City, planning for a big sale. However, upon arriving at his company, he discovered that sales had barely moved in the past few days. His already thinning hair seemed to have diminished further. Frustrated, he called for his employees.

Spotting Xiao Zhao eating something during work, he slapped the back of Xiao Zhao's head. "Xiao Zhao, what are you eating during work? Is it that delicious?"

Xiao Zhao, smiling and showing eight teeth, nodded. "Boss, I'm eating spicy seafood cup noodles. They're really delicious."

Boss Zheng, slightly annoyed but curious, asked, "What's going on these days? Why hasn't any nutrient solution sold?"

Xiao Zhao looked at him in surprise. "Boss, haven't you heard? A new Sugar Convenience Store opened recently, selling cheap and delicious snacks. Everyone's been buying from there instead."

Xiao Zhao looked at his cup noodles affectionately, took a serious sip, and with tears in his eyes, sighed, "Ah, my dear cup noodles, if it weren't for the free nutrient solution from the work meal, I'd eat you every day."

Suddenly, an idea struck him. He held his face in his hands, blinking up at Boss Zheng. "Boss, how about you stop providing me with free nutrient solutions and add their cost to my salary at half the market price?"

Boss Zheng, trying to maintain his composure, replied, "I think it would be better if the work meal was a snack from the Sugar Convenience Store instead."

Xiao Zhao grinned widely. "Really?"

"Dream on," Boss Zheng retorted, but then he asked more seriously, "Are the snacks at the Sugar Convenience Store really that good?"

"Boss, how about I give you my favorite spicy duck neck to try?"

Boss Zheng nodded reluctantly. "Fine."

Xiao Zhao handed over the snack, watching as Boss Zheng took a bite. The boss's eyes widened, and soon he was eating with tears and a runny nose, unable to stop. Xiao Zhao chuckled. "Boss, maybe you could wholesale from the Sugar Convenience Store and sell them on the main star. They'd definitely sell well."

"Give me the address of that store first," Boss Zheng demanded between bites. "I need to taste everything myself before making any decisions."

Xiao Zhao muttered under his breath, "I knew it, you're just gluttonous."

"What did you say, Xiao Zhao?" Boss Zheng demanded, pretending to be stern. "Speak loudly and confidently like a spirited young man."

Xiao Zhao took a deep breath and shouted, "Boss, I said you are enticed by the fragrant aroma of instant noodles, the soft and sweet cakes, the belly-filling bread, the spicy and warming marinated snacks, and the cool and refreshing sodas... And now you can't work because you're cheap!"

The whole office erupted in laughter, employees pounding their tables with glee. Boss Zheng couldn't help but join in, his face breaking into a wide grin despite himself.

Since installing the store's security system and automatic cash register, Tang Tang had freed up her hands and now had time to browse the star net. She stumbled upon a video about the Cowherd and Weaver Girl and realized that today was Qixi, the Chinese Valentine's Day. Unlike the bustling celebrations on Earth, it seemed the interstellar folks saw it merely as a beggar festival. Feeling rich and idle, Tang Tang was inspired to celebrate. She placed an order on the star network for paper, bamboo branches, red candle simulation lights, red ropes, small wooden plaques, paint pens, and other materials, ready to craft lanterns and lotus lamps.

When the materials arrived, Tang Tang eagerly began her DIY project. However, what seemed simple in the video turned out to be quite challenging in practice.

"What are you doing?" Qi Tian asked, seeing Tang Tang struggle with the bamboo branches. It was the first time he'd seen her stumped by something.

"I overestimated myself," Tang Tang sighed, putting down the bamboo branches. "Today is Qixi, and I wanted to make a few lanterns to celebrate. It seems it's not going to happen."

"Tell me the steps, and I'll give it a try," Qi Tian said, picking up the bamboo branch she had set aside.

Tang Tang collapsed on the green grass like a defeated salted fish. "I'll explain, but don't be upset if it doesn't work out. I've got your back."

"Don't worry, I'll make the lantern for sure," Qi Tian said confidently. Then, in a quieter voice with his ears turning red, he added, "Besides, don't you want to spend Qixi with me?"

"What?" Tang Tang hadn't caught his last sentence. She turned over to look at Qi Tian and noticed his white ears turning red. His shyness was endearing, and she felt her determination renew, no matter how difficult the task seemed.

She explained the general process of making lanterns and lotus lamps to Qi Tian, then lay back down, leisurely watching the blue sky through the cherry blossom petals as Qi Tian worked.