41

ARIEL

I had alot to figure out.

Alot to think about and decide. But everytime I tried to build up the courage to speak to my dad, it shrank and withered at the first sight of him.

I had avoided him for a week and I knew I was being stupid. But I just couldn't help it.

Me and Griffin on the other hand, were thriving. We saw eachother everyday and I was gearing up to decide if I wanted to stay in Italy permanently.

Yes I know it would be rash to move continents for a guy. But I just, I felt it with him. Like he was it. And I wanted to savor whatever time I could with him. I hadn't told him I was only meant to be here a couple months.

Technically, my contract with Russo security ended in another week, but that wasn't a factor. I was sure I could get another job soon, and I had enough saved up to keep me afloat for a while.

I was still living in Russo house. Although I had spent majority of the nights at the penthouse, I hadn't decided to move out or anything.

Lucia, Hayden and Blake had all since come to me and apologized for being secretive. But it wasn't hard to forgive them, it wasn't their fault, not entirely. I was only really mad at my own parents. They were the only ones I was angry at.

"So you haven't stopped seeing him." I heard Zio's baritone voice chastised as I was climbing the stairs after having returned from a work. Griffin had dropped me off.

I turned, to find my dad there aswell. I took a deep breath and straightened my spine.

"I never agreed to stop seeing him. His secret, whatever his reasons were for keeping them, I understand them. We talked about it and his reassurance is all I need. So no, I didn't stop and I don't plan on it either." I keep my tone leveled, not disrespectful but firm enough to make a point.

"I see." he clicks his tongue. "And does the esteemed Capo know about your soon departure from Italy? Or that you are to marry at 25?" He mocks.

His tone becomes more condescending and harsh every time we talk about this, he doesn't seem like the same uncle I met when I first arrived.

His words hit me square in the guy. He knew exactly what buttons to push. I glance at my dad, who seems equally as determined as his brother.

"We're doing just fine, Zio. Thankyou for your concern, but please, let me make my own choices." I ask, as nicely as I can. His smug expression tells me exactly what he's thinking.

It makes me frown, and I turn on my heel, rushing up the steps.

"Break up with him, ragazza. I'm serious." Zio stops me in my tracks. I turn to him, suspicion gnawing at my gut. His tone is too strong, something tells me he is not just looking out for me.

"Why do you care so much?" I ask him.

"Because of the families marriage tradition-" My dad begins to say.

I interrupt him; "No. Zio? Why are you so adamant I stop seeing him?" I ask. His heated glare doesn't make me back down.

He sighs, resigned.

"Because I am trying to secure a spot as Consigliere. And I can't if I have a Moretti so close." He finally answers.

"Marco." My father says, disbelief tainting his tone.

My face falls, frustration swirling with strange satisfaction runs through me.

"So it's not that Griffin is a bad person. It's that you won't succeed in your personal gain." I shake my head.

"You do not understand, sweetheart. A Consigliere is the 3rd highest rank in the Mafia. We are Capo's by inheritance, you have no idea what I have done to secure this opportunity." His eyes blaze in a manic passion.

"How can you become Consigliere if it is inherent?" I question.

"A current one is... taking an early retirement." His tone is devious, as if he were making an inside joke.

"That has nothing to do with us. Griffin doesn't care what you do." I cross my arms.

"Oh he cares, princess. Everything in the Mafia is political. No one is playing by heart, especially not a bloody Moretti. They are born to conquer and conquer only. Mafia men don't love." His face is dark with melancholy.

"One little seed of suspicion about where your loyalties lie, and he will discard of you faster than you can say 'trust' " He continues, voice mocking and cold.

A sour taste fills my mouth.

"You speak only for yourself, Zio. Don't assume anything about Griffin when you don't know him." I shake my head, running up the stairs.

EMILIO RUSSO

I watch my daughter rush up the stairs, a string of curses fall from my lips.

"You're fucking dreaming of being  Consigliere? When were you going to tell me?" I turn to my brother.

"When I was voted in, I still have a long ways to go." Marco says, leading me to his office. "It is not a dream, I've made it a possibility." He smirks.

"It's never straight with you is it? There always more you want then you let on." I run a hand through my hair.

"The opportunity fell in my lap, I wasn't looking, it was a fluke. Who the fuck am I to ignore help from the divine?" He smirks.

I narrow my eyes.

"What opportunity?" I ask.

"McCall. I found out that he aided his cousin Castello in escaping to France. That brainless weasel was dense enough to attempt holding the future Donna hostage on their honeymoon some months ago. It pissed Xander Moretti off his grid. Killed Castello and Mattia, that stupid fucker." Marco barks out a laugh. "I'm sure you heard." He lights a cigar. Handing one to me aswell.

"So what, McCall is willing to give away his generational title over some blackmail you have?"

"It's rock solid blackmail, incriminating enough that he had two choices. Hand over the title of Consigliere to me, or have his entire bloodline removed by Xander Moretti. He worships his wife." My brother waves. "Besides, McCall had no male heirs, he would have to choose someone eventually, I am simply giving him an early retirement." He smirks.

"This is a mess. I only care about Ariel. I don't like the direction the wind is blowing. I want to take her back to California." I stress.

"Don't worry little brother, I have it worked out. If she won't listen, we'll simply give it a nudge." He says.

"What will you do?" I ask.

"You want your daughter away from Moretti yes?" I nod. "I'll take care of it." he smirks.

"Don't do anything rash." I warn.

"This so called relationship is hanging on by a thin string of some pretty words, I can snap it with no effort." He says, his tone hostile.

"Ariel will be heading back to California next week, just as you scheduled." He reassures.

AN:

I contemplated adding Ariel's dad's pov, but it was important so 🤷🏻‍♀️