58

ARIEL

"Okay." I say weakly. "You win." My voice sounds light years away from my body. I feel numb.

Griffin's tense muscles relax.

"Very well. My parents will be in Russo house tomorrow to set up nuptials." He informs. I nod, turning to the door. "Where are you going?" he asks.

I dont answer, I open the door and press the button to the elevator, the marble of the floor outside the penthouse is cold against my bare feet.

"Ariel. Get back inside, I'll drive you." He says behind me. I remain silent, stepping inside the elevator when it comes up.

I feel his large body stand beside mine, as he continues talking. But I'm not paying attention. Im too busy listening to pieces of me breaking on the inside, the echoes loud and painful.

My weakness against his power. My word against his will. My will against his cruelty. I stand to nothing next to Griffin Moretti's wishes. Im a weak vessel of the woman I used to be. My pride in shambles as I am forced to stand next to him in an elevator, when I hate to have him see me break like this.

GRIFFIN

"Okay." She says, her voice low. "You win."

My ears ring. I was grasping at straws. I didn't know what to say when she said she wouldn't marry me. That she would rather be with someone else. She was ripping my heart out. And she had no idea.

I panicked. I didn't know if threatening the lives of her family was too far. But I couldn't risk it. I did everything necessary to keep her. And I would do it again.

But she hasn't so much as blinked since. I follow her into the elevator when my words fall on deaf ears.

"Ariel." I say again. My hand twitches, wanting to touch her, shake her out of her trance, but I can't. Not against her will.

Then you're going to have to force yourself onto me. Do it. I know you don't respect me enough to not.

My fists clench. She fucking hates me. I know that much. But I'd rather her hate me by my side than anyone else's. The thought makes my stomach churn.

"You can't go home like this, let me drive you." I groan when her bare feet pad against the lobby floor and eventually out onto the road. She steps on a few boulders, her eyes flutter closed at the pain but she doesn't flinch. "Fuck stop it!" I shout.

Nothing. Not even a single reaction.

"Ariel I swear to god," I go to grab her hand and she finally stumbles back and blinks.

"If you touch me, or follow me home or anything else. I swear to god I will walk into passing traffic." her voice sounds hoarse. I stare at her disheveled form. From her glossy eyes to her flushed face down to her bare feet.

"You got what you wanted. You wanted to belittle me, take your revenge, make me agree to something I didn't want well there you go Griffin. You won." She sniffles. "Now leave me alone. Let me breathe please. I can't breathe." She cries.

I step back from her, her words punch me in the gut. My eyes take her in. Her breaking down with no tears, but so much pain seeps out from her.

Belittle. Take revenge. Winning.

No I want to make her mine.

I am not seeking revenge.

Am I?

Fuck.

Fuck what have I done.

She eyes me for another minute before she turns and hails a cab.

I get into my car, following behind her till she gets off at her house, walking inside on weak legs. Fuck.

This isn't what I wanted. Not in the least.

She had hurt and betrayed me. Then why did it feel so wrong doing the same to her.

__________________

"You what?" Mama asks, her eyes wide in surprise.

"I want you and father to go to Russo House and set a date for mine and Ariel's engagement." I repeat.

"You-- Honey, you were just revolting to the idea of marriage a few months ago when I brought it up." She mentions.

"And now I am saying I want to marry Ariel. What's the issue here?" I ask.

She looks to Alana who is sitting next to her with her baby, Aurora, in her arms, with an equally perplexed expression.

"Well I suppose I am just concerned at the sudden change." she says.

"Griff, I thought you and Ariel broke up years ago. I talked to her just a few weeks ago, she was in California." Alana's eyebrows furrow. I raise mine.

"You talked to her?" I ask. Her face heats.

"Yes well, just to check in." She mumbles. I give her a skeptical look.

"So not only did you both manage to reconcile within a matter of days, you are also ready to get married?" Mama squints skeptically.

"Yes. Now if this is going to be a problem I can go myself, if you are busy or--"

"No! Ofcourse you are not going to go yourself, I was simply adjusting to the situation." she admonishes. "I will speak to your father after breakfast. Maybe we can go today." She smiles, getting up and walking away.

I stand up and look to Alana who is looking at me with suspicion coloring her face.

"I hope you didn't do anything rash Griff." She says. My neice coos in her arms as if agreeing.

"I didn't. We just want to get married soon." I reassure before leaving the room.

ARIEL

"I can't believe this." Ava fumes, pacing back and forth in my room. Im lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Believe it or not, it's what happened. And I have to pretend, infront of everyone, that we are happy about it. That I want this." I inform.

"Why are you being so chill? This a bad thing that's happening." she asks me.

"Ave, I have two options here. To freak out and drive myself up a wall. Or to stay calm. What's happening is happening. The faster I make my peace with it the better." I say.

My mom had informed me after lunch that grandfather had received a call from the former Don himself. He said that they would like their son to marry me. Grandfather was so ecstatic and excited that he insisted they come today and set a date for the engagement.

It was the worst thing that could happen to me. But not worse than being the reason my family was hurt.

I had to endure it. I had no other choice.