59

ARIEL

Ava was curling my hair for me. She said I had to look hot because then I would feel stronger against Griffin's lethality.

I don't think that she's right but I was too tired to argue, Id barely slept last night.

I was wearing a knee length white dress with white hermes oron sandals.

I wasn't ready to sit there and act like I was happy about the engagement but I had no choice

I wasn't ready to sit there and act like I was happy about the engagement but I had no choice. It was happening, and I couldn't stop it.

A soft knock sounded at the door then a maid entered.

"They're here, signora." she informs.

I stiffen which makes Ava sigh.

"It's okay. Go, hold your head up high, answer when someone asks something then come back upstairs when it's all over. I'll wait for you here and we'll watch beauty and the beast together. With lasagna, I promise." She squeezes my shoulders.

I smile at her describing exactly what I had described to her as my perfect comfort night in, when we first met and played twenty questions. That was a fun night.

Ava was my rock, and I was so glad she was here.

I walk downstairs, and the sight of a full living room greets me. I see the former Don and Donna. Alana and her husband. A toddler sitting beside Alana, protectively holding the handle to a carseat.

That was Ace. Alana's two and a half year old son. And her newborn daughter, Aurora. I had seen pictures of Ace, talked to him on facetime and Alana talked about him, but he was so much cuter in person.

Then my eyes flicker towards Griffin. He sits beside his brother, intently looking at me. Him and Ace were the first ones to notice that I'd entered.

"Momma." Ace says. "It's Ari." He points to me. I smile at that. Alana calls me Ari so Ace does too. I think it's adorable.

Everyone looks in my direction and it makes my stomach flip.

Thankfully, nothing is too awkward. The adults talk amongst themselves while I have the easy task of socializing with Ace and Alana only, while trying to ignore Griffins hard stare.

"Well then I suppose the weekend is as good as a date we'll get. Saturday perhaps?" Grandfather's statement makes me finally snap out of my own head.

I'd been tuning them out but that was impossible to ignore. Saturday was 2 days away.

"Saturday is too soon." I blurt out, and everyone turns to me.

"But dolcezza, Griffin mentioned that you two would like to be engaged very soon." Mrs. Moretti says, looking at me with a hint of suspicion. My head snaps to the devil incarnate who looks at ease with the situation.

"Yes but, how will we do everything in such a short period of time? The dress, the event? Rings?" I nervously try to rescue myself.

"Oh!" The former donna laughs, almost as if out of relief. "That is not a problem honey. It will be difficult but doable for sure. We will announce the union, just as Griffin and you want, then you can have a long engagement, to plan your perfect wedding." She smiles.

I slump in my seat after I nod at her reassuringly.

_________________

It was the next day. I had successfully turned off my brain for the rest of the time they stayed, which wasn't long and then had spent my night in my room with Ava.

But after the morning I'd had, I quickly realized that waiting it out was not an option. This was my engagement and I would need to be very much present, both mentally and physically, for every step of it.

All I could do was go in sections.

My phone rings, bringing me back to my room where I was sat on my bed, reading Ana Huang. I bookmark my page and answer the unknown caller.

"Hello?"

"Hi, dolcezza. It's Griffin's mama." Mrs. Moretti's chirpy voice sounds over the phone.

"Oh, hi Mrs. Moretti." I sit up.

"Now that you will be my daughter in law, I would love if you would call me mama. It sounds more personal." She says sweetly. That makes me smile.

"Okay.. Mama. Thankyou." I chuckle.

"Lovely, now, me and Alana want to take you out to pick out you engagement dress. I have a boutique that custom makes dresses and they can have yours ready by Saturday morning. What do you think?" She asks.

"Today?" I ask.

"Sí, if it is possible for you. Since the engagement party is just two days away, it's either today or tomorrow. Now we already talked about the theme yesterday, Silvers and crystals and I conveyed that to the planner. I also made sure the boutique had something lined up for you.."

We speak on the phone for about 20 more minutes before hanging up. Party planning is fun when I don't remember what the party is for.

Mama and Alana pick me up at 4 in a car. Along with a very tiny baby tag along. We go to the boutique first and try on a few dresses before I find the perfect dress for the theme. We then went to a few other stores to shop around and a cake boutique to pick out the cake.

"Griffin is meeting us here." Mama says, looking at her phone.

"He is?" I put down the spoonful of chocolate pistachio cake.

"He didn't tell you?" Alana asks. I shake my head.

"Sí, I asked him to so he can take you to pick out your ring." Mama smiles.

"Do I need to go pick it out? I would love to be surprised." I fake my smile.

"Well he is almost here, and he didn't tell you because he wanted you to be surprised." She smiles wide. "Besides men don't always know what you would like, Griffin would buy you a gold band with pearls when clearly you're a platinum and diamonds kind of woman." she winks.

That makes me crack smile. She's so cute. And she's right I almost exclusively wear silver jewelry.

"Ladies." I hear the deep voice behind me and freeze.

"Hi honey." Mama says. "She's all yours, we've got everything checked off our list." Mama pats my hand.

I stand up, facing him. His green eyes intensify, looking at me and up and down.

"All mine." His rough voice makes me look away.

Oh god.