70

ARIEL

I had said some really awful things to Griffin. And as I took a shower and calmed down, I felt guilty.

It was always the worst when you calmed down after the argument and regretted the things you said in the heat of the moment. Nothing I said was untrue or made up. But I didn't mean to guilt him into so much so soon.

He had blamed me for something I never did and I was mad at him for believing someone else over me. But it was also true that he'd been skillfully mislead and he did  everything as a retaliation for the hurt he felt.

But that hurt didn't justify forcing me to marry him or blackmailing me. Or treating me like crap. It didn't justify him deliberately hurting me in the present.

I sigh as the warm water washes away the tension from my day, and my tears from just now.

After my shower, I wrap his big fluffy robe around me and head into the closet to pick out something to sleep in. When I walk into the room, Griffin is already in bed, his eyes closed.

But I knew he wasn't sleeping. I knew what he looks like when he sleeps. His face is completely relaxed, not one furrow in his eyebrows, and his shoulders are more relaxed.

Wow I'm creepy for remembering all these details. I get into my side of the bed and put down the cushions between us before turning out the lights.

__________________

"Ariel." I hear the deep grunt and moan.

"Mm." I try to answer.

"Baby you're grinding down." His voice sounds strained.

"Mm!" I scold. He's disturbing my sleep.

"Fine." He growls, gripping my hips and lifting me off the comfortable warmth. He then lays me onto a cooler, but softer surface.

"Mm." I contendedly snuggle into the covers.

"Micetta, I need to get ready for work." His deep voice vibrates through me. I peak open my eyes, letting them adjust to the light.

When they do, I see Griffins chiseled face and striking green eyes staring back at me.

"What are you doing?" I question.

"I am trying to go take a shower." He holds up his hand to show me that I am gripping two of his fingers. I quickly drop it, my cheeks burning.

"Oh sorry." I mumble, embarrassed.

"It's okay." His voice rumbles as his shirt less, gorgeous body moves like a lazing but skillful panther all the way to the bathroom.

Why does he have to be so hot?

I get out of bed and pick out a dress for the day and scroll instagram while I wait for Griffin to finish up in the bathroom. When he comes out, his hair is damo but he's wearing his pants and button up shirt.

"I need to talk to you." He says.

"Oh." I whisper. Darn it. "Yeah?"

"Our conversation from yesterday, it was.. enlightening." He starts. I sigh.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say everything on my mind so.. cruelly. It was rash and mean and it wont happen again." I bite my lip.

"That's not what I wanted to talk about." He begins. "First, I want to establish that hurting you, or causing you pain or seeing you cry brings me no joy, not even close." His face tightens in pain. "I hate seeing you cry, I can't bear it. You being in danger or hurt is my worst fucking nightmare." He gulps.

"When you left Rome two years ago, I blamed you for alot if shit and I was angry. And still I couldn't bring myself to not care." His eyes turn dark. "So I resolved to having a security team always keep an eye on you, give me updates make sure no one and nothing hurt you." He admits. My cheeks blanch. What?

"I cared about you enough to settle for seeing your life through updates like I used to watch you fucking sleep." His throat ripples with a hard swallow. Tears blur my eyes at the pure emotion in his voice.

"I still care about you. I don't keep you out of trouble for a personal gain. I keep you safe like I would keep the air in my lungs safe if I could see it." He strains. "But I realize that I have hurt you these past weeks and I was doing it over and over. Rest assured, that stops today. You mean more than any anger I may retain."

A sob breaks free from my throat, the pain of his confession squeezes my heart in a vice.

"Please don't do this right now." I shake my head. "It's too much. Waking up to you, seeing you be so domestic. It's all too much okay? You're being wonderful but I can't handle this right now." I shake my head, looking away.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, running into the bathroom to hide away from him and all my feelings.