49

ARIEL

"This looks great, Fiona. I would give them a call though, just to iron out some of these maybe's. And get a verbal confirmation before the meeting." I smile at my youngest HR rep.

It was strange to think I was in her position just years ago. And I wanted to make her life easier than some of my managers had made mine.

"Okay. Thankyou, Ms. Russo." She beamed, scurrying out of my office.

I sigh, leaning back in my office chair, looking out to the uncharacteristically gloomy California weather. My chest tightened.

"Griffin!" I squealed as the rain flew into the balcony of his penthouse. "You have to come feel this rain on your face, it feels so fun." I giggle like a child.

Rain was my absolute favorite, I don't know why people thought it was sad.

"No, micetta. I think I'll pass." His amused expression studied me as I pranced around bare foot, my short dress clinging to me. "God you are beautiful." He said, it was a low comment, almost getting lost in the thunder.

"I heard that." I laugh.

"I meant for you to." He shrugs casually. "Otherwise I would have said it in Italiano." His smug face makes me gasp.

"Rude." I pout. He shakes his head, shedding his coat and steps into the rain.

"Not the Alexander McQueens." I shout, just as his lips crash into mine.

I smile into his kiss, bucket list item: kiss a hot guy in the rain; check.

Something clattering in the far distance broke me out of my thoughts.

I sigh, blinking away the moisture in my eyes.

"Knock-knock." I hear from the door to see Kendra, the HR Director.

"Hi, come in." I straighten up.

"Sorry to just barge in like this. Just wanted to check in about the new rep we hired? Freah was it?" She asks.

"Please sit. Fiona," I quickly correct. "Yes she's doing a great job, very efficient." I nod in approval as she sits.

"Good. It's always a gamble hiring fresh College graduates. But I've been more confident since we hired you." A big grin of approval spreads across her face.

Kendra was in her early 40's and she was possibly the best boss a girl could ask for. She was calm, understanding and overall a warm person to be around. She was always very impressed by me and I am pretty sure she's the reason I got to be Manager at only 24.

Well I was turning 25 next week. The thought doused Kendra's natural flare of calm into acid as I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

25. Marriage. Men. A relationship. Griffin.

"So, your life's amazing huh? A promotion, new car, this bag." She laughs, referring to my new Chanel classic flap. It was on my bucket list and I could finally afford it with my promotion bonus.

I snicker.

"Oh and Taylor from Finance? You know he has a trust fund, and a high paying job. You could get another Chanel." She winks. I smile at her playful ways.

Taylor had asked me out, subtly, a third time this past week. And I was sweating trying to say no in a nice way.

"I don't think me dating is a good idea." I shake my head with a nervous chuckle.

"Why not? He's tall, and smart and has the nicest blue eyes." She widens her own eyes.

"I prefer green eyes." I say, before even realizing it then suddenly pause, my facw draining of color no doubt.

"Oh?" She raises a perfectly arched brow. "And who is Mr. Green eyes?" She questions.

"He's not an is. He's a was." Ava chides from the doorway. "And Ari could use some blue over her usual green." My occasionally annoying best friend glares. I frown.

"Oh." Kendra observes me with a calculated look. "Well I hope Ariel knows what she wants. Trying to forget about green by bringing in blue makes a nasty muddy color." She waves a perfectly manicured hand around, then stands up.

Her words cause my chest to sink in itself.

"Alright, see you girls." And she walks out.

"You can't get out there without getting a little muddy." Ava says.

"I have enough mud to last me a lifetime, Aves." I sigh. "Need something?" I ask her.

"Sí, the Kensington file." She says. I open the drawer by my leg and hand her the file.

"You okay?" She asks, her green eyes hinting. I suppress the urge to wince.

"Yeah" I force a smile.

"You don't have to pretend to be happy with me." She smiles. I slump in my chair.

"You think you know me." I challenge.

"I do. Let's leave it at that." She winks, walking out. "Let's get dinner later." She says.

Kendra's words echo off the walls of my skull.

Your life's amazing huh?

My life was so perfect on paper. Nice job, nice apartment, I had a relationship with my parents, I had a nice car. Everything was great.

Then why did I feel so empty inside? Like a huge part of me was missing. Like I was making a mistake. I woke up feeling like I was doing something wrong. And the ache never stopped. I was getting so tired of it.

Trying to forget about green by bringing in blue makes a nasty muddy color.

I knew exactly what she meant. I hadn't been able to so much as look at another man after him. It was ridiculous. And unrealistic.

According to the family, I was to marry someone before I turned 26, so the day after I turned 25, if I wanted my inheritance.

The echoes merged into other voices till I had a pounding headache.

God I needed something stronger than just dinner tonight.