52

ARIEL

I stand in the same room I stayed in when I was in Rome last.

Today, I was meeting Arthur Hale, the son of the Consigliere Hale. They're a very influential family in the Mafia, and my grandfather really wants this wedding to happen. I have way too many hopes riding on this.

He said that marrying a whole rank up is a big deal and I would 'open alot of doors' for them if I did marry Arthur.

The thought makes me queasy.

Meanwhile I am just happy to be keeping my feelings at bay about being back here.

Everything was the same in grandfathers house. The color of the walls, the tapestry, the furniture. The amiable vibe of the house was the same, the odd looking painting in the main hall was the same. Rome was the same.

The only thing that had chnaged was me. I couldn't remember who I was when I first came here. I remember her being young and naive and gullible. She thought everything would always be the same, life would always work itself around.

When you're young you never expect things to change or people to change. Never having been hurt or tricked is a privilege we have while we're young.

But that year, every single person in my life changed. And I changed too.

I'm not a young college graduate anymore. I'm 25 years old with a good job and my own place to live. I've proven I can hold my own if I wanted to. But I am choosing this path in life. The path where I am giving up on love and settling for a suitable partner who I will live out my life with.

"Almost ready?" I hear my mom's voice from the door. I didn't even hear her come in.

"Yes, I think so." I take a deep breath, looking at myself in the mirror. For my first meeting with the Hale's, I'd decided on a safe black dress that went down to a couple inches above my knee. The square neckline showed enough skin and no cleavage making it very classy.

And black loubotin's that made me look 3 inches taller than I was. I would need the extra height today. Apparently Arthur Hale is very tall. That's how my mom described him.

I did light makeup and my hair was neatly pinned in a half up half down with my ends curled.

"Well your neck looks a little bare, maybe add a necklace?" My mom asks, coming over to the vanity

I'd kept the jewelry simple. Just a pair of diamond studs and a tennis bracelet.

"I don't really feel like alot of jewelry today." I give a deep shrug.

Her face softens. "I'm sorry it has to be like this Ari. This wouldn't have been my choice for you. A love marriage is so beautiful. Finding someone who you know is your other half, someone you love unconditionally." her eyes glisten.