51

ARIEL

I'm going to throw up. I can feel it in my gut.

"Ari? You look pale, honey. Drink this electrolyte water. It's very helpful..." My mom drones on about the benefits of the stupid water while my head spins as we walk through FCO airport.

We landed in Rome 45 minutes ago and I already felt like I had been here long enough. My memory sucked when I tried to remember where I put my phone, but I remembered Rome 2 years ago like it was a movie I watched on the plane.

My parents had understated just how ready Grandfather was to get me to meet my possible future husband. The though made me shiver.

He had already arranged for us to fly in and for them to also fly in from D.C. It was literally happening right before me, I was watching my life play out as if it were someone else's because I couldn't quite comprehend staying quiet while people made the most important decision of my life for me.

I was terrified seeing him. I was terrified of him seeing me and most of all, I was terrified of the thought of anyone but him in a romantic relationship.

It's pathetic and sad that I still have a place for him, and only him, and at the same time, I would rather rip out my hair before I let him that close to me again.

I'd been reluctant to come but the bottom line was, I couldn't spend the rest of forever working without marrying anyone, or atleast attempting to get over him. And even more important was the fact that I couldn't let my parents be cut off just for my own feelings, that were already confusing and unreliable.

I had never been a selfish person and I didn't see the harm in just meeting the guy. He could be half decent I guess. And it's an arranged marriage, I doubt he would expect anything more than that from me.

I felt slightly better about my decision when my dad had lit up like a christmas tree when I agreed to fly to Italy and meet the guy. If only I shared his enthusiasm.

GRIFFIN

"This is a surprise." Damon raises a glass in my direction. I raise an eyebrow. "You being at a social event." He clarifies.

"I didn't realize you kept track of my activities. It's only slightly disturbing." I remark. He rolls his eyes.

I stand up from my seat on the sofa, straightening my jacket and walk off to find--. I don't know. Stimulation.

"Ah! Griffin my boy." My predecessor, Zio Romano says as I pass by him, standing with my father, Ares and another man.

He was the Underboss before me. He is also one of Fathers closest friends. I stop and respectfully greet his acquaintance as well as my own father who stands with him.

"This is Moretti's second boy. My successor." He says proudly. My father also, for once, looks pleased. "He brought in that contract from Boston, the youth is truly bringing us closer to our goals of expanding into the West." he boasts.

"A proud achievement." The man I do not recognize says. I nod in acknowledgement. I want to walk off. But I can't. Ares wants me on my best behavior tonight. Screw him.

"Griffin, this is Consigliere Hale. He is our eyes and ears in Washington." Father says.

The name clicks immediately. Anyone in the Mafia who was worth half their salt knew the Hale's.

Despite not being born of noble blood, they were extremely prominent in the Mafia and had earned the respect and recognition of the Don 4 generations ago.

Now, the Hale's were rich and powerful, not quite the same as the nobles, but more than any Consigliere bloodline was. Or ever will be.

The oldest Hale was my fathers most trusted Consigliere, I didn't have to ask to know that the one infront of me was the same. My father never talked to anyone for longer than 5 minutes.

"Ah, a pleasure Mr. Hale." I shook his hand.

"As it is mine." he gave me a firm handshake.

"What brings you into town." Ares asks him.

"My son, actually, Arthur. He is turning 30 in only a year now, it is time he take a bride. He needs to settle down, as you have done so well." He claps Ares's back.

"You have a girl in mind? There are many I reckon." Zio Romano says. "I need to get Damon on that." He chuckles.

"Sí, Capo Russo's granddaughter is in the same stage he told me, he was the one who insisted we come." He says.

My pulse spikes, then thrums. He has another granddaughter. Linda or something.

"Ah, did she not get engaged this past summer?" Zio Romano asks.

"Sí, the older one did. His younger one he is looking to get married. Ariel I think her name is."

Dread, anguish, anger. So much fucking anger.

My chest fills and threatens to explode with the feelings. The sound of her name. The prospect of her--

"Excuse me." I grit, storming off, straight out the door and to the gardens outside.

I make it to the far end, near a vexing fountain that wouldn't stop trickling. The noise was muddling my thoughts, anger coursed through every last capillary I had and the sound of the water wouldn't stop aggravating me.

Thousands of memories and words distorted my brain, the fuzzy recollection of that sweet voice was so close but I couldn't fucking grasp it with the sound of this fucking fountain.

I couldn't take it. I snap and punch the moronic angel that was previously spewing water in an absurd display. Now it's brain dead motherfucking face lay bloodied on the floor with peices of white concrete around it.

It is bleeding? No that is my blood.

"Griffin!" Alana shouts at me. I break out of my haze, a strange sensation runs through my body. A buzz. A sting. I feel pain in my chest. "He's panicking." She says. "ARES! Do something." she pushes him.

"I am fine." I hold up a hand. My brain fogs one minute, clears the next.

"No you're not." She stresses. "I see you run out here then you punch the fountain? Your hands even bleeding."

"Lana." I groan. "I am fine." I run a hand through my hair. The fog clears up, the sting from my knuckles finally registers.

All three of my brothers and Alana stand infront of me, cautiously looking at me. Alana looks worried, Ares just looks curious.

Thankfully none of them look at me with pity. I would've punched a puta. They were also not poking fun at my obvious loss of composure, my brothers were asses but not when it really mattered.

"I'm heading out." I grunt.

"I'm driving." Aaron says.

"Aaron." I warn.

"Your hand is messed up." He says, not referring to the giant mess that my life is.

I sit in the car as he drives, my head thrown back.

His younger one he is looking to get married. Ariel I think her name is.

Fuck.