The In-between: Naki

The In-between: Chapter 80

"Sylas...hey, lift your head and look at me. I don't like how quiet you've been." Valas' arms stretched through a hole in the bars despite his cuts and bruises. Being beat for three days straight didn't really bother him, he expected it. He knew worse would come. What did bother him was being in a cell across from his mate, unable to touch him or check to make sure Sylas breathed.

It'd been days since they'd gotten taken and thankfully his father took his temper out on only him. Sylas got thrown in the prison cell across from him, no medical treatment, no food or water for days. They'd both been starved, but that didn't bother Valas either. Sylas though...

"Sylas, answer me, come on, this can only last so long okay? Vyronas will sneak you water again, okay?"

A groan rolled from Sylas, his back to the bars, breathing heavy and labored. It'd been days of freezing cold and endless shivering. Beyond the obvious signs of infection, the left side of his face caused him so much pain, he welcomed death.

"Valas, shut up...it's been days of your whining. When I...die, I promise to save you the trouble...of yelling. You'll be the only...sad sap whining, my...funeral will only be filled with...cheers."

"If it's not, you lived wrong," Valas chuckled tiredly, "it means you kissed too much ass and didn't live out your desires. Fuck if they are good or bad. In the end, you do what's best for you. So what if we've used a few people as fodder? We aren't the scummiest in the bucket."

Sylas hacked violently, but it shuddered into a chuckle as he struggled to turn over. "Is that how...you sleep at night?"

Valas' cheek dimpled. "Sleep and fuck, baby. Everyone can't be the lovable heroes. Some of us save the whining masses and handle the shady shit. Everyone wants to hate the ones who do bad shit to help the greater cause. If they are going to cry about us anyway, we should fucking enjoy ourselves while we continue to wipe their asses for them."

"Valas...you're actually very idiotic... Your dick has distracted me... You are disturbingly dense." Tired and dull eyes looked at the bruised and bloodied mess. "It's a good thing you're...infertile...our child would have been pretty, but...probably have split personalities."

"Yeah, sorry about that...telling my father probably would have ruined the whole Alpha and Beta goal."

Sylas weakly held up his hand, amused that the King hadn't cared yet to notice that his ring went missing. "We still got the rings though...who the fuck wants kids?"

"Keeping it alive, having to fuck up other people to stop them from taking out what I made. It'd be a whole thing."

Sylas smirked weakly, "good thing the doomsday happened. One more year of us 'blaming' each other and..." Sylas gave a violent cough, "you'd have to throw...me...away."

"Sylas! Hey Syl-"

The surrounding structure began to shake uncontrollably and Valas had to back away from the bars as the ceiling came falling down in sporadic places. The raging quakes didn't last more than five minutes, but it was long enough where he thought he'd be crushed to death by the end of them. Though the ground rumbled oddly, as if their land were being jostled between waves, the movement ceased being so bad that one couldn't stand on their feet.

Valas scrambled back to the bars, his blockade still in place despite the wall between the structures caving in many places. Valas kicked at the bars angrily, despite many bruised bones. "Fuck! The damn world shake and these stupid fucking bars still hold up!" He grasped two and shook manically. "Sylas! Answer me, are you okay?! I can't see you! Are you o-"