22. Carnivores

Art by drc.arts

Chapter 22: Carnivores

Sega stood in the middle of the room, his eyes cast down to the ground, his head reeling in more ways than one. Again, Aiden's words slammed around in his head, rattling like a sharp knife caught in a whirlwind, stabbing his consciousness repeatedly. How could it have been? He would have known, wouldn't he? Was there not some way for a mate to know that their mate was pregnant? Naki's smell hadn't changed. He hadn't shown any outward symptoms, and there was no evidence of such a thing, yet Aiden wouldn't lie about it.

It seemed tonight was beat the crap out of Sega night. He anticipated a blow for sure, but still, the gut-wrenching hit to his abdomen was enough to make him buckle at the knees.

"You idiot! You are a complete and utter imbecile. To think you could be so stupid! I should chop off your head to make sure you still have a brain!"

Another blow came to the back of his leg, causing Sega to stumble completely to his knees as he clenched his teeth to stop the sound of pain from escaping his lips.

"Did I raise a fool? A boar? Have you become a pig instead of a wolf?" The tall figure paced back and forth, the angry swish of his coat sounding throughout the room. "Do you suppose that I go about doing whatever I please, Sega? Do you think that is the way I have come to obtain and maintain all of my power? Through causing scenes, by making myself known?! I raised you to be elite, but you fall to the ranks of a rat so easily!"

The screaming grated on his ears, but Sega stayed where he was. It was best to take his punishment now, remain silent, and not argue.

"You had one job. You have one job. You make good with Aiden, and you go about your duties. Your fucking purpose, Sega! To have spent so much time honing, to have made you so much better than any scum around you, for you to make such a costly mistake. And to embarrass our entire pack! And you call yourself my son! You have lowered yourself to trash, and it's trash I have to carry behind me, you insolent idiot!"

Sega braced for another blow, clenching his eyes, but the pain never came.

"Do not show weakness in front of me. It would serve me best to bash in your skull, but your face couldn't be more battered. It's disgusting to look at as is!"

Leiodus took a deep breath, leaning against the desk, his blue eyes hot with rage as he stared down at his kneeling son. "Get up! Stand before I stomp on you like the piece of shit you have proven yourself to be."

Sega rose, clenching his ribs where his father had dealt an unyielding blow. Every part of him hurt, and he knew beneath his clothes he was badly bruised. "Father-"

"Do not father me, Sega. For years, I have shown these other packs that we are superior in discipline and have the highest nobility. Pure, untainted. I've seen these young leaders grow up and could dance circles around their leadership. As my son, I thought you understood the necessity of returning our misguided brethren back to our glory days. I thought you knew that we did not belittle ourselves in petty fights. I thought that I had chosen the right person to become the beacon that would lead our people back into the glory that is the Night."

Leiodus slammed his palm onto the desk, his face deepening with lines of rage. "But it seems I have wasted many precious years and time on a fool who cannot hold his temper and execute a simple plan."

Sega continued to stare at the ground, not knowing if his father wanted him to speak or not.

"Well! Tell me, Sega, am I to wallow in distress over choosing the wrong one to be my protégé?"

Sega's jaw ticked, and his eyes, too much like his father's, cast aside at the question. "I can assure you, my King, that you have not chosen wrong. Today was a folly that will not I will not repeat, I assure you. I made a mistake that I should pay for dearly, and I will take whatever punishment you wish. If it would please you, I would slice off my very hand."