28) Early Practice

I didn't trust this at all. The way this girl just wanted us to follow her for reasons she wouldn't say. Plus, there were all these big guys around that reminded me of the WCKD guards which is not a good look to say the least.

The alternative was lightning or Cranks though, so this is all we truly have. While it's still terrible, it's hopefully and currently better than the alternative. At the same time, that seemed to be decreasing the longer we were here.

"So where's the nearest exit? You know? In case you're a serial killer or something?"Minnie joked (it was not at all a joke).

"If I was a serial killer, why would I tell you that?"

Oh. That's promising.

"Seriously? Where are the exits?"She mouthed to me. Subtly glancing around, all I ended up seeing was broken windows. From three stories up.

"Come on. There's someone you guys need to meet,"She stated, not looking back as she pushed open a door. Taking a half irritated, half terrified breath, I followed Thomas's lead into whatever this place was. For some reason, that stick seemed almost trusting about all this which was incredibly idiotic.

He was also incredibly important though and so far doesn't seem like someone to be weary of. Not that made me let my guard down about him or Teresa.

Heading inside the room lit with too bright yellow, almost orangish lights, I squinted as my eyes adjusted to what I imagine the first thing you see in hell is.

When I was able to see normally again, I saw an older man with gray hair and his back turned to us, who also appeared to be pouring himself a drink.

"So I have three questions,"He started, turning around to face us with a drink indeed in his hand. Taking in his appearance, I concluded that he was somewhere in his late forties, early fifties, and most likely Hispanic. Maybe even Brenda's father. The resemblance wasn't that strong, but it just seemed like a possibility.

Though there was nothing fatherly about his tone or the way he was looking at us.

"Where did you come from, where are you going, and how can I profit?"

"That's our business,"Minho said firmly, crossing his arms over his chest. Glancing back at the door, I saw that it was blocked by the guys we had passed by earlier. Great. The red flags were piling up by the minute.

"Come on. Let's listen to what he has to say,"Thomas pushed.

"Because you're so great at plans,"Minho deadpanned.

"Well? The answers?"He spoke up.

"Why would we tell you anything? None of you have said anything about yourselves,"I pointed out.

"Fair enough. My name's Jorge, and I've been here all of my-"
"That doesn't mean we want them,"I interrupted.

"Well, that doesn't change the fact that I need answers."

"Those are all very invasive questions from strangers. We just wanted a place to stay. Not an interrogation,"Minnie snapped.

"You're like him, aren't you?"He sighed, gesturing to Minho.

"This is all ridiculous. We wanted shelter. Not new people."

"Also distrusting I see."

"What about you is there to trust?"Aris quietly pointed out.

"So you're with her then. There are a lot of duos in this little group of yours."

"I'm done with this. Come on. The rain sounds like it's gone,"I said, taking Aris's hand as I tried to lead us all out of here. After all, everything about this place screamed trouble.