18. MARRYING MR. BYERS?

ELLIE

“Marry me.”

I waited for him to start laughing and admit it was a joke. When he didn’t do that, I thought about calling 911 because he might be having a concussion. What else would explain his irrational thinking?

“Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me?” I said, taking the glass of water from in front of him and gulping it down to calm myself.

“I am serious.” He said.

“As much as I admire this sweet and thoughtful proposal, I am afraid I have to reject it.” I said, controlling the urge to shake his head to instill some sense in it.

I was about to walk away when he said, “Think about it. It will help me prove to judges that I am a family man now. Besides, Aria loves you so it will be helpful to convince judges.” He said casually as if he was asking me to bring him coffee.

“Just one thing, why do you think I will marry you?” I said. I had valid concerns about his mental health right now. Or maybe he was drunk. Yes, that seemed like a reasonable explanation.

“Because you need money for your parents’ farm.” He said.

My mouth opened but no voice came out of it so I closed it. It opened again and I attempted to speak but all in vain.

I don’t remember telling him about my financial troubles then how did he know? Then it dawned upon me, I must have blabbered about it last night in my drunken state. Last night was completely wiped out from my memory but when I went downstairs for lunch, my friend Tyra showed me the picture of Nathan and me in the news tabloid. It was so embarassing having to explain to her when I had no idea where it came from.

“Think about it. It’s a win-win.” He said but I didn’t reply.

“I... I am going to take the rest of the day off... for the sake of my mental health.” I completed the sentence with much trouble.

“Sure.” He said. "Think about it while you are at home."

Without saying anything, I walked out of his office and went to mine. Gathering my belongings, I called an Uber and went straight to my apartment. The hangover had already drained my energy and now this. I was in dire need of some solitude and rest.

……..

Once inside my apartment, I changed into loungewear and then cozied myself on the couch with a blanket and a huge tub of Haagen Dazs. I needed to keep Nathan Byers out of my mind and a Harry Potter marathon seemed like the perfect way for that.

Marry him? My ass will marry him. Ughhhh.

It took me some time for the thought of the proposal to leave my mind but by the time I was on 2nd movie, I was finally distracted enough. When Max returned home from her job, I was on The Goblet of Fire. She eyed me buried under the blanket and then at the empty ice cream tub and empty wrappers of chocolates and chips. 

“Don’t tell me you have been here all day watching Harry Potter?” She took off her blazer and sat down beside me.

“No. Just the last six hours.” I said.

“How come your monster boss let you leave early?” She asked.

“About that,” I sat up straight and told Max everything from last night’s shenanigans to that news and then about Mr. Byer’s proposal. I also told her about my parents’ debt and how he offered to pay it on my behalf.

It took Max a few minutes to process this, not that I blamed her. It had taken me the whole day to process this and I was still nowhere close.

“I would help you with the loan but my parents have already threatened to disown me ever since they got to know that I am bi.” She said and I nodded in understanding.