21. MY DEAR HUSBAND

ELLIE

The day of my wedding was finally here. And it was underwhelming, to say the least.

All this happened too quick within a couple of weeks and now, I was about to walk down the aisle and marry a man I hardly knew.

Whenever I dreamt of the day of my wedding, it never included a set of rules and regulations, a handsome billionaire or paparazzi trying to take a peek at me. But there I was, dressed in a luxurious gown, for a man who probably wouldn’t cast an eye towards me.

“How do I look?” I asked my Mom, who had permanent tears of joy in her eyes.

“You look like a princess.” Mom said, caressing my cheeks.

My Mom was a very plain and homely woman. Even today, she was wearing the same yellow dress she bought two years ago for my cousin’s wedding. She was quite a contrast to Nathan’s mother who was wearing a fancy blue gown embedded with jewels.

“You look like Belle.” Aria commented and I smiled at her. She was wearing a puffy pink dress and her hair was tied in a cute bun over her head. She was the flower girl and she was holding the flower basket so tight as if her life depended on it.

“Ellie, are you ready? Everyone is waiting outside.” I heard Dad’s voice.

“Yes, Dad.” I said and turned around to face him. He watched me in awe and a hint of moisture appeared in his eyes. Dad was a tough man, he rarely cried so I knew how much all this meant to him.

“You are the most beautiful bride I have laid my eyes on.” He smiled as he walked over to me. I didn’t look in the mirror much because it hurt me to see the most important day of my life was a drama. I hated the fact that I loved this dress so much and it’s being wasted here.

Linking my arms with Dad, I got ready for my entrance. Aria went first to throw flowers and then I slowly made my way inside. All eyes turned to me as I reached inside. My heart began pounding faster inside my chest when I met the eyes of Mr. Byers standing on the other side. A weird expression coated his face as he watched me walk down the aisle, his eyes not leaving my face for even a brief moment. Once I was closer to him, he moved forwards to take my hand from my Dad and led me to the stage.

I figured it was all for the show. He needed to show to the world how much he adored me or else, what would be the point of all this?

“Thanks.” I whispered to him.

“Pout less. You look sad.” He replied curtly and the bitter feeling in my stomach grew.

“Sure.” I said, smiling as wide as I could.

……….

After the ceremony, his driver drove us to his house, aka the mansion. The whole drive, I kept fidgeting nervously, not knowing how to share a room with this man. Mr. Byers, aka Nathan, aka Nat, didn’t care to make any attempt of small talk so I didn’t either.

Once the car came to a halt, he walked out and went straight inside, not caring to wait for me. The driver was the one who helped me come out of the car with my huge dress.

I had been inside this house before but back then, I had no idea that the next time I’ll come here, it will be as Nathan’s wife. The house was beautiful nevertheless. If I had to pretend to be someone’s wife, I’d rather do it in a mansion than a studio apartment.

“Mr. Byers…” I called his name as I saw him walking upstairs. “Nat!”

“It’s Nathan.” He said, angling his head to look at me.

“Oh so you could hear.” I replied sarcastically. “And while we are faking everything else, you can fake some chivalry too.”

“I could.” He walked back to me. “The thing is, I don’t want to, Ellie Anderson.”