17✮Old Mistakes

ɴᴇᴡ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ, ꜱᴀᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ᴍɪꜱᴛᴀᴋᴇꜱ - ᴛᴀᴍᴇ ɪᴍᴘᴀʟᴀ                                               
                                                             ↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺
                                               0:00 ───|────── 0:00

                                               ~✮Y/N's Perspective✮~

"Come in," I called out to Ragatha from the other side of my door.

Ragatha walked in, her expression slightly concerned as she pushed the door shut quietly. I quickly shoved my diary into one of my desk drawers and spun my chair to face her more clearly.

"Hey," she said solemnly, "can I sit down?" She pointed to my (f/c) bed.

"Yeah, of course! What's up?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. It wasn't like Ragatha to act so... unenergetic.

She sighed, crossing her legs and placing her hands in her lap. "Look, I know you're still somewhat new, but... I think you know more than most of us."

My expression turned from confusion to slight fear.
Had she figured it out?

"I'm not sure what you're talking about," I said hesitantly, slightly turning my head away from her but still maintaining intense eye contact.

"Like about Caine more specifically," she said, bowing her head slightly.

I let out a soft breath I had been holding in. She was talking about Caine, not my past. Thank goodness.

She sighed before crossing her legs and putting her hands in her lap. "I just wanted to know what your conspiracies were." She asked, her tone questioning.

I smiled gently, moving over to sit next to her on the bed, sitting criss-cross facing her.
"Of course, I'll tell you. Keep in mind I'm new and probably just paranoid."

She nodded slightly and turned to face me more.

"Well, to start, we already know that he can change the fabric of this world. You know, changing objects, creating new worlds, etc. But I think he might also have a... fail-safe mechanism, to put it nicely."

"A what now?" Ragatha said, becoming increasingly concerned.

"A fail-safe. Something that can reset or erase the entire world, letting him restart. It wouldn't be impossible based on what he can create already."

She nodded slowly, taking in the information I'd bestowed upon her.
"Huh, that really does make sense," Ragatha said slowly, taking a deep breath before continuing.

"Do you think this... world, is the true meaning we're here? As in, do you think he's doing this to us for a reason?"

I furrowed my brows and pondered the question, taking a deep breath before responding. "I think there is definitely an underlying reason for our existence, but I just haven't worked it out yet."

Ragatha again nodded slowly before sighing and turning to face the wall, swinging her legs over the bed.
"Ugh, it's just all so much," she said, laughing slightly.

I giggled with her.
"That's just the fun of it! We'll work this out together, everyone will," I said, placing my hand on her shoulder.

She smirked. "Well, you and Jax definitely will."

I smiled slightly, eyebrows knitted together.
"And what's that supposed to mean?" I said, standing up and shifting my body weight onto one hip, arms crossed.

"I'm just saying! You guys have been pretty close recently," she said, exaggerating her words.
I laughed slightly. "What on earth are you talking about! Jax and I are just finally... friends."

 Are we friends? 

"Yeah sure, Jax getting all angry at Caine like that, yelling about how he could have hurt you? Real friend material there," she said, her smirk widening.

"He was just sticking up for the both of us! We both got stuck down there, you know," I rushed, trying to save myself.

"Yeah stuck... together!" she said, on the verge of full-out laughing now.

"Oh, shut up!" I said, nudging her slightly.

I enjoyed this time with Ragatha; there was nothing to worry about, no sense of dread.
Though, it did make me double over on my views on Jax.

I thought we were just becoming friends, just getting off bad terms.

No, I am not getting attached to someone in a digital circus, that's just weird.
We'll just become friends! Yeah, friends...

Ragatha stood up and stretched. "Well, I better get going. Just wanted to check in and ask my crazy questions."

I nodded, standing up as well.
"Thanks, Ragatha. It means a lot. And... thanks for listening to my theories."

She smiled warmly. "Anytime, Y/N. We're all in this together, right?"

"Right," I agreed, giving her a small wave as she headed towards the door.

As she was about to leave, she turned back one last time. "Oh, and Y/N?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't be afraid to let someone in. Sometimes, having someone to trust can make all the difference," she said, her expression sincere.

I gave her a thoughtful nod. "I'll keep that in mind. Goodnight, Ragatha."

"Goodnight, Y/N," she said, finally exiting the room and closing the door behind her.

I sighed and sat back down on my bed, the weight of the day settling in.
I couldn't shake off Ragatha's words about Jax.

Was there really something more between us?
I don't want to make the same mistake again...
I feel like I would know.

Did I even want there to be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so sorry guys, I know I promised a long chapter in 1-3 days
I uploaded late and this is the shortest chapter I've ever written

I'd just like to say a huge thankyou for 1k, it truly means the world the you continue to enjoy this book!

I have exams in a couple days but I will try to upload a chapter, if you guys have any chapter ideas lmk! I would love to throw in some more fun, non plot-heavy chapters!