xxviii

TW: SH (I know and I'm sorry)

He could sense the use of Chaos energy nearby. There was only one person that could have been. Dropping his and Sonic's groceries, he sped back home. He felt as if his shoes wouldn't project him nearly fast enough, and the house almost seemed farther everytime he looked.

He arrived at the door and kicked it in, revealing the gruesome, bloody scene, and the still body of his lover, laying in a pool of blood.

"Fuck, Sonic." He muttered, turning him over, revealing a bullet wound.

"Mm, Shadow."

"Yes, it's me. Please, take the chaos emerald. Channel it's power."

"So tired..."

"Please, please just let it heal you." He pleaded, holding it in his counterpart's hands. "It won't have the effects that all 7 had, but if you just..."

A bright green light surrounded Sonic's body, gradually closing the wound and disintegrating the bullet. Considering how far they lived from town, it took Shadow a lot longer than he would have wanted to return, and he had no idea how long he's had that wound before he had used the chaos emerald, so if he had not possessed the power of the emerald, he likely could not be saved.

Because of the singularity of the emerald, it put the cerulean hedgehog's body into a sort of involuntary self preservation, like a temporary regenerative coma. These tended to last up to twenty four hours, but six at the least. Up to twenty four hours of a lack of closure of if the emerald was serving its purpose, or if he would never speak to his lover again.

He rested his body in their bed, making sure to not interfere with the wound. He sat on the side of the bed in silence for a few hours, just staring at the wall and thinking, subconsciously digging his claws into his arms or thighs a few times. He wondered how the hell it happened again, how Elias lived, if it really even was Elias. He wondered how long he could have been laying there, bleeding out. He wondered if the emerald would work. He wondered if he should stay with Sonic, or if he should go smoke, or drink, or plunge a knife into his skin. What would he do if Sonic didn't wake up? Would he give himself an identical wound and force himself to feel the same pain he did? Nothing he did to himself would ever equal what Sonic had been going through.

He though to call Rouge. He had only been sitting there for three hours. It wouldn't hurt. He picked up his phone and dialed her number.

"Shadow? What's up?"

"Can we just talk?"

"About what?"

"Something. Anything. I need to pass the time."

"Oh? What's going on?"

"Sonic..." He sighed. "I'll explain it... eventually. For now, talk to me. Tell me about your life. Any new... makeup brands you're using?"

"No," She chuckled. "Been using the same brand for ten years. I did Knuckles' makeup yesterday, though."

"Did he look ridiculous?"

"He looked glamorous." She laughed. "I miss living with you and talking about random shit late at night."

"It's the middle of the afternoon."

"You get the point."

Shadow briefly smiled at his friend's unique personality. Living with her had taught him a lot.

"It's crazy. You moved out a year ago and I still almost buy your coffee beans when I'm shopping. Force of habit, I guess."

"I still wonder in the middle of the night if you're still awake in the next room."