Chapter 41: Goodbyes

The office was a stark contrast to the sterile hospital room Tiffany had called home for the past few...days? weeks? She doesn't even want to think about it.

Wyvern, seated behind her imposing desk, looked smaller than she remembered. Her face was etched with lines of fatigue and worry, a stark contrast to the fierce, almost ruthless woman Tiffany had first encountered.

"You look better." Wyvern said, her voice a gentle contrast to her usual commanding tone.

Tiffany managed a weak smile. "I feel better," she replied. Her body still felt heavy, her energy sapped by the ordeal. But the relief of being awake, of being back in the familiar surroundings of the Rossi Mansion, was a balm to her soul.

"I'm sorry," Wyvern said abruptly, her voice filled with a raw sincerity that took Tiffany aback. "You and Contessa...you shouldn't have been there. We should have protected you."

Tiffany waved a dismissive hand. "It's not your fault," she insisted, though her voice trembled slightly. "Accidents happen."

Wyvern shook her head, her expression grim. "This wasn't an accident. It was a deliberate attack."

A chill ran down Tiffany's spine. She knew this world was dangerous, but to hear it spelled out so bluntly was unnerving.

She shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "You did everything you could, Wyvern. It wasn't your fault."

Wyvern's gaze hardened. "Don't," she interrupted, her voice low and firm. "I failed you. I failed Contessa."

She knew that Wyvern blamed herself for the attack, but she also knew that it wasn't entirely her fault. The world they lived in was a dangerous one, and sometimes, despite their best efforts, things went wrong

Tiffany shook her head, a gentle smile curving her lips. "You didn't fail us, Wyvern. You saved us."

Wyvern's expression softened, but her eyes held a flicker of guilt. "I could have done more. The attack should never have happened in the first place."

Tiffany reached across the desk, her hand finding Wyvern's. "It's over now," she said, her voice steady. "I'm safe, Contessa's safe, we're good."

Wyvern squeezed Tiffany's hand, a silent comfort echoing in the gesture.

"I'm sorry about everything," Wyvern said, her voice filled with a genuine remorse. "The attack, your injuries..."

Tiffany squeezed her hand back. "Stop apologizing," she said, her voice firm. "I'm still alive."

A long moment of silence passed between them. Then, Tiffany spoke again. "What about them?" she asked, her voice low.

Wyvern's eyes hardened. "They're gone," she replied, her voice cold. "No one will hurt you again."

Relief washed over Tiffany, tempered by the knowledge that others might not be so lucky. She looked at Wyvern, a flicker of admiration in her eyes. Despite the weight of her responsibilities, Wyvern had always looked after her, had given her a place to belong.

"Thank you," Tiffany whispered.

Wyvern offered a small smile. "You're family."

Tiffany's eyes widened slightly, touched by the declaration. She had found a home here, a family she never thought she would have.

"So, what do you want to do now?" Wyvern asked, her voice gentle. "You don't have to rush, but I want you to think about it. You can stay here, or... you can go. Whatever you want."

Tiffany was silent, her mind racing. The world outside these walls was a vast, intimidating place. The thought of leaving this life, this family, was terrifying, yet the idea of staying, of being constantly reminded of the dangers, was equally daunting.