Chapter 43: So Be It.

"You wanted to see me?" Leanna asked, sitting across from Wyvern.

Wyvern nodded, her gaze unwavering. "I need your help," she said, her voice barely a whisper.

Leanna raised an eyebrow, her curiosity piqued. "With what?" she asked, her voice laced with a hint of amusement.

Wyvern hesitated, the words catching in her throat. She had rehearsed this moment countless times in her mind, but now, faced with Leanna's direct gaze, she found herself at a loss for words.

"It's Contessa," she finally managed to say, her voice barely audible. "I need you to pretend to be with me."

Leanna's amusement vanished, replaced by a look of concern. "What are you talking about, Wyv?"

Wyvern took a deep breath. "I told you, I need to push her away," she said, her voice filled with a mixture of determination and despair. "I can't protect her like this."

Leanna's eyes widened in disbelief. "You're crazy," she said, her voice sharp. "You love her."

Wyvern flinched. "I know," she whispered. "But I love her too much to let her stay here."

Leanna shook her head, her eyes filled with a mixture of anger and pity. "This is not the solution, Enna," she said, her voice firm. "You're hurting yourself and her in the process."

Wyvern ignored her. "I need you to pretend to be my girlfriend," she repeated, her voice low. "Make it convincing."

Leanna's eyes narrowed. "And why would I do that?" she asked, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Wyvern looked at her, her eyes pleading. "Because I need you," she said simply.

Leanna studied Wyvern's face, searching for any sign of weakness, any hint of doubt. But Wyvern's expression remained resolute.

Finally, she sighed. "Alright," she said, her voice filled with resignation. "But this is a bad idea."

Wyvern nodded, a flicker of relief crossing her face. She knew she was asking a lot from Leanna, but she had no other choice. This was the only way she could see to protect the woman she loved.

"We should start now then."  Wyvern took a deep breath, her heart pounding in her chest. This was it. The first step in a plan she prayed would end in a different outcome. She reached for her lipstick, smudging it slightly to give the illusion of a hasty kiss. Then, with deliberate movements, she unbuttoned the top two buttons of her polo, revealing a hint of collarbone.

"Leanna," she said, her voice low. "Come here."

Leanna raised an eyebrow but complied, walking over and leaning against the desk, her body pressed against Wyvern's.

Just as Leanna was about to say something, a knock on the door startled them both. Contessa, a stack of files in her arms,peeked her head in. Her eyes widened in shock as she took in the scene before her. Wyvern, disheveled and seemingly intimate with Leanna.

A wave of hurt washed over Contessa's face as she took in the sight. Leanna, her eyes wide with surprise, quickly straightened up. Wyvern, on the other hand, seemed unfazed, her expression a mask of indifference.

"Contessa," Wyvern said, her voice flat. "What do you need?"

Contessa's throat felt dry. She handed the files to Wyvern, her voice barely a whisper. "You asked for these," she said, her eyes never leaving Wyvern's face.

Wyvern took the files, her fingers brushing against Contessa's. Contessa flinched, pulling her hand away.

"Thanks," Wyvern said, her voice cold.