Chapter 40

The group of FoxClan members came to a halt at the top of the slope overlooking Four Birches.

Darkblood felt Wolfblaze shift beside him, and he watched as Adderstar raised his tail, signaling the clan to follow him down into the clearing.

As the FoxClan group began to disperse around the hollow, Darkblood wound his way slowly through the crowd of gathered cats, until he found a spot near some of his clanmates.

The slight glow of the full moon shone down upon the clearing, as they waited for the gathering to begin.

CreekClan arrived soon after, and Darkblood found himself looking for Silverpaw amongst the arrivals, despite everything.

"May this gathering begin!" Chestnutstar called from atop the Great Boulder, as CreekClan's leader leapt up to the join them.

Darkblood caught sight of Cherrystar stepping forward, looking like she was holding herself high.

"DuskClan can begin this time." She announced, her gaze sweeping around the clearing.

The murmuring of the gathered cats quieted as the DuskClan leader began to speak.

"It is my duty to announce to all of you, that one of DuskClan's apprentices has lost their life."

Gasps and murmurs rose up from the clans, and Darkblood felt a fresh wave of pain wash over him at the mention.

"How did it happen, Cherrystar?" Chestnutstar spoke up, his eyes focused on the DuskClan leader.

"I'll be getting to that." She flicked her tail and continued. "Our clan grieves the loss of Pinepaw, and we believe that he was killed by some sort of surprise predator attack. The back of our Apprentice's den was torn into, and although our other apprentices were not awake when it happened, Pinepaw bore the scratches and bites of something that killed without remorse. He was dead when the clan awoke that morning." She explained.

Wildtalon... Darkblood dug his claws into the ground, feeling his heart beat in his chest.

"We thought it would be right that the other clans were made aware of this matter." Cherrystar glanced around at her other leaders.

"Well, we appreciate the warning. It is truly unsettling what happened in your clan." The CreekClan leader meowed, speaking for her cats. Chestnutstar seemed to be in agreement with his fellow leader.

"If I may ask something, Cherrystar." Adderstar started. "This happened after the attack on my clan's territory, correct?"

Meows of confusion rose up from the gathered cats, and Darkblood could feel the memories of him and Pinepaw pushing against the walls he tried to keep up.

"That night, to be exact. What are you suggesting?" Cherrystar answered.

Darkblood lowered his gaze from the leaders and caught sight of Silverpaw across the clearing from him. She was seated beside her mentor, but her head was down and her eyes on her paws, before she closed them.

Darkblood wanted to go over to her, but he stayed where he was, trying to ease the flood of memories that kept resurfacing.

He raised his amber eyes to the leaders again, his heart beating.

"I'm not suggesting anything, Cherrystar. It is unsettling what happened to your clan, but I believe that other situations should be addressed as well, regarding what seems to have happened." Adderstar explained, rising to his paws.

Cherrystar held his gaze before taking half-a-step back, her eyes not leaving the FoxClan leader.

"Thank you." Adderstar said with a nod, coming to stand near her. "About a quarter-moon ago, FoxClan was attacked on our border with DuskClan, while out on patrol. A battle was fought, and FoxClan successfully defended our territory. But what led to that fight, Cherrystar?" Adderstar meowed, turning his head to face her.