Chapter 41

It took Darkblood a moment, but eventually he opened his eyes.

He was lying on the ground, his head on his paws. Lifting his head and looking around, he realized where he was.

StarClan's hunting grounds surrounded him.

The warrior slowly got to his paws, his head swirling with a mix of confusion and also hope.

Is she here...?

Darkblood looked around from where he sat, his tail curled around his front paws.

The walk back from the gathering had been a quiet one for Darkblood. He didn't talk to anyone really, just stayed lost in his own thoughts of the night.

A small movement caught his eye. Looking in that direction, Darkblood took a sharp intake of breath as Firefox approached him. She looked just as beautiful as the last time he saw her, and here it was just them.

The fiery orange fox paused in front of him, a small, sad smile on her face.

"Hello Darkblood." She murmured, her eyes soft.

"Firefox..."

She stepped forward and rested her muzzle lightly on top of Darkblood's head. He closed his eyes tightly against the overwhelming emotion.

"I'm sorry that I haven't been able to come and visit you." She said in a voice that reminded Darkblood of his kithood. "There were some things that needed to be sorted out first."

Darkblood opened his amber eyes, trying to keep them focused on Firefox's chest fur.

"Pinepaw?" He asked, and he felt Firefox nod above him.

"Yes." She responded. 

"Is he okay?" Darkblood asked quietly, almost whispering.

Firefox pulled away and nodded again, the small smile back on her face.

"Yes, he is. He's happy."

Surprising himself, Darkblood felt a flash of anger go through him at those words.

"How can he be happy? He's happy that he died? He's happy that he died in the Dark Forest?" His voice slowly rose, all the emotions, all the grief, that he had been trying to push away coming to fill him. "Where I didn't do anything, even though I could have?"

"You could have died also, Darkblood." Firefox tried to say, calmly.

"I still should've done something!" He was on his paws now, his tail lashing. "But I didn't! And I lost him! Like I lost Silverpaw, lost my parents, lost Shadowripple, and lost...!" He paused as he met Firefox's gaze. "You...! Like I lost you!"

"Darkblood..." Firefox murmured.

Tears began to form in Darkblood's eyes, and he snapped them shut.

"Am I cursed, Firefox...?" He asked after a moment.

"What, no...!" She replied softly, trying to catch his gaze.

When he didn't open his eyes at first, he heard Firefox say. "Darkblood, look at me."

Reluctantly, he opened his eyes and met her gaze with his own. Emotion was deep in her eyes.

"You're not cursed. You're just a cat who has had horrible things happen to him, that sometimes you can't change." Firefox took a step forward and brushed her tail under Darkblood's chin. "What matters is how you choose to go forward. It's our actions, Darkblood, that make us who we are."

"How do I go forward from this...?" He whispered to her.

"Well, like you told Silverpaw. You just do."

Darkblood looked at her, his head continuing to run.

After a moment, he found the courage to ask. "Are you happy here, Firefox?"

She thought for a moment. "I wasn't entirely at first." Firefox answered, truthfully. "It took some time, but I am now. I am happy. Because I've realized what I can do from here."

Darkblood stood still for a moment.

"I've always been honest with you, Darkblood." Firefox continued. "And I want to tell you something. When we tried for kits... It didn't work... It didn't work."

Darkblood felt his heart twist in his chest. He opened his mouth to say something but no words came out.

"I know neither of us wanted this..." Firefox whispered. "And I'm sorry..."

"You don't have to apologize..." Darkblood told her, his emotions beginning to weigh him down once again. "What happens now...?" He asked after a moment.

"I think that's for you to decide, Darkblood. It's your life." Firefox replied, looking into his eyes.

"I love you." He answered, brushing away what she said for a moment.

She cracked a smile that didn't reach her eyes. "I know, Darkblood. I love you too."

"Can I stay for awhile?" He asked.

"For as long as you want..." Firefox murmured quietly in his ear, a hint of something else in her voice.