Chapter 7

"Let all cats and foxes gather here beneath the Meeting Rock for a Clan meeting!" Adderstar's deep mew rang around the camp. 

Darkkit sat at the base of the Meeting Rock, his black pelt shiny and smooth, his eyes bright with excitement and his tail wrapped around his front paws. It was hard to believe that three moons had passed since he figured out that he was half clan, his parents banishment, and Firefox's death. Sadness descended on Darkkit once again. He swallowed and gave his pelt a shake. He could see Firefox in his dreams, she wasn't really gone. Darkkit bit his lip, he had only seen Firefox in that one dream. 

The rest of the clan had gathered around behind him. Stormhawk was back to being Clan deputy and was sitting to the side of the Meeting Rock. Darkkit's eyes scanned the crowd, he smiled as he caught Wolfpaw's and Crimsonclaw's eyes. He waved with his tail. 

Adderstar flicked his tail and continued. 

"We are here for the a very important part of Clan life, the naming of new apprentices!" Adderstar gave a Darkkit a small smile. "Despite of the hardships that this young kit has endured he has made it to this point. Darkkit," Darkkit felt a shock of excitement go through his veins. "from this moment on until you become a warrior, you'll be known as Darkpaw." Darkpaw's eyes shone as he heard his new name. Adderstar looked upon the Clan. "I can think of no better fox to mentor Darkpaw, Crimsonclaw, you'll be Darkpaw's mentor!"

Crimsonclaw padded up to Darkpaw, his eyes shining with pride. Darkpaw dug his claws into the ground to keep himself from jumping into the air with excitement. Crimsonclaw leaned down and brushed his nose against Darkpaw's. As soon as Crimsonclaw pulled away and Clan cheered its approval. 

"Darkpaw, Darkpaw, Darkpaw!" Darkpaw shifted awkwardly, he heard a few flat and disapproving ones. After everything that had been revealed to them about Darkpaw a few of the Clan never looked at Darkpaw or thought of him the same way again. 

His nose twitched as he caught a whiff of something. The breeze ruffled his fur, moving the scent closer to him. Darkpaw scented grass and wildflowers... Firefox's scent... He saw something move out of the crowd, none of the clanmates it brushed against seemed to notice. Darkpaw's breath caught in his throat. He would recognize those kind eyes and beautiful face anywhere. Firefox flashed him a grin. Darkpaw blinked and she was gone.

"Darkpaw? Daaarrkkpaw? Darkpaw!" 

Darkpaw jumped. 

"Uh, what!?" He meowed, blinking. Wolfpaw and Crimsonclaw were standing beside him, each giving him confused looks.

Darkpaw turned back to the spot Firefox had been standing, there was nothing. He let out a small sigh and turned back to his new mentor and best friend.

"Are we going to go train or what?" Darkpaw questioned, changing the subject. Crimsonclaw nodded. Wolfpaw lashed his tail. 

"I wish I could come with you guys, but my mentor Nightfire has me on a hunting patrol." Wolfpaw flicked his tail towards a black tom with firey orange paws, tail tip, ears tips, and amber eyes who was sitting near them.

"Ahh." Darkpaw replied, stealing a glance at the tom.

"Ready to go Darkpaw?" Crimsonclaw asked, his fluffy red tail swishing back and forth.

Darkpaw nodded, excitement flowing through his veins.

Once they were outside the camp, Crimsonclaw turned to his apprentice. 

"Okay so today we aren't going to do any real training," Darkpaw's tail drooped. "I'm just going to take you on a tour of the territory. And I know that you've already seen some of it thanks to Fire-" Crimsonclaw cut off abruptly. 

A feeling of pain washed over Darkpaw once more as it had done so many times before. He didn't know if he would ever be a peace with Firefox's death... He felt something press against his side, Darkpaw glanced over, Firefox was there, smiling down at him. Darkpaw stood frozen, staring at her open-mouthed. Firefox pointed with her nose toward Crimsonclaw who was looking at Darkpaw blankly. Darkpaw cleared his throat loudly.

Crimsonclaw jumped.

"Oh uh, yeah... This way to the Training Dip." He said and padded off.

The Training Dip was a dip in the ground that was a couple of dog lengths long.

"This is where all the training sessions are held for the apprentices." Crimsonclaw explained.

Darkpaw nodded, taking it in. 

If I had only suggested we go anywhere but the FernClan border... Darkpaw thought, sadness curling around him.

Crimsonclaw nudged him. 

"Darkpaw? You okay?" He smiled down at the black tom.

Darkpaw nodded, shaking off the feeling that clung to his pelt. 

"Alright. On to the Abandoned Badger Set." 

The reek of a large animal flooded Darkpaw's nostrils. He scrunched up his nose in disgust. 

"Badger scent in strong." Crimsonclaw commented. 

"You think..." Darkpaw muttered. 

"At least it's abandoned now." Crimsonclaw sighed. "On to the borders." 

The scent of pine entered his nose. 

"This is the DuskClan border. Can you smell their scent?" Crimsonclaw asked. 

Darkpaw nodded, sniffing the air. 

"They smell like pine." The apprentice commented, with a snort.

Crimsonclaw smiled and led the way to the next border.

The scent of water and fish flooded into Darkpaw's nose, he grimaced. 

"CreekClan's?" He muttered, rubbing his nose with his paw.

"Mhm." Crimsonclaw nodded. "What do we do if our scent is stale?" He questioned. 

"We remark it to strengthen our scent in the area, telling our enemies to stay away." Darkpaw replied, confidently.

"Good." Crimsonclaw nodded his head. "Onto the last border then." 

The scent of trees, grass, and ferns wreathed around Darkpaw. He swallowed a hard lump that was stuck in his throat. He half expected Scarfur to launch himself out of the bushes and kill Crimsonclaw next. Darkpaw's eyes darted to where Firefox had laid dead all those moons ago. He swallowed again and heard Scarfur's and Thornscar's voices in his head.

"Thornscar..."

"Scarfur..."

"Mom...?"  Darkpaw heard his own voice.

Hello Thornscar, this must be our son..." Darkpaw shuddered.

Crimsonclaw must have noticed his discomfort and laid his fluffy tail on Darkpaw's back. 

"Ready to head back to camp?" Crimsonclaw murmured. 

Darkpaw nodded, not saying anything.