9. regrouping

REGROUPING

REGROUPING

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina awkwardly sits at the kitchen table in the Byers' house. Everyone is just kind of floating around waiting for something to happen, someone to have an idea.

Hopper is calling person after person, getting angrier when no one will help him. "I am the police! Chief Jim Hopper!" he yells into the phone. Gina can't help but wonder why he's wearing scrubs like a doctor, but it's really not the time to worry about that.

Jonathan is sitting by the couch, talking to Will, but he's still sleeping.

Steve is pacing back and forth, looking between the kids at the table and Nancy.

Gina notices that when Hopper yells, the blonde girl, who she learned is named Stephanie, slightly jumps. She gives a sad half smile, being reminded of her younger self.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" the curly haired kid, Dustin, asks when Hopper angrily slams the phone down.

"We'll see."

"We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" Nancy's brother, Mike, yells, finally snapping.

Hopper narrows his eyes, giving an intimidating step towards Mike. "We stay here, and we wait for help."

Gina presses her lips together as Hopper walks away.

Suddenly, Mike walks out of the room, coming back with a blue cube that's rubber banded together. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?"

Bob. He was Jonathan mom's boyfriend. He never made it out of the lab. The monsters were too fast.

"Really?" another kid, Lucas, asks.

Mike sort of smiles. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?" Mike sets it down on the table. "We can't let him die in vain."

"What do you want to do, Mike?" Dustin shouts, finally saying a word. "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demodogs on our own."

"Demodogs?" Max repeats, raising her eyebrows.

Dustin gives her an obvious look. "Demogorgan. Dogs." He puts a hand out for each word. "Demodogs." He puts his hands together. "It's like a compound. It's like a play on words—"

"We got it, kid," Gina says, finally cutting him off.

Still, Dustin continues. "I mean, when it was Dart, maybe..."