Chapter 26

I stood in front of the mirror, scrutinizing my reflection. I was adorned in a burgundy knit sweater layered over a white turtleneck long-sleeved top, paired with a pair of copper cotton straight pants. To complete the look, a cream puffer vest draped effortlessly over my shoulders.

I carefully slid my feet into my white Vans shoes, grabbed my black duffle bag from the floor, and stepped outside. The crisp, chilly air enveloped my face, gently caressing it as the sun had yet to rise. I meticulously searched the surroundings for Parsa's car, but it seemed nowhere in sight. "Where is he?" I muttered under my breath, a hint of anticipation coursing through my veins.

Parsa's voice echoed through the air as he exited a sleek black Mercedes-AMG G63. I looked at him in wonder as he sauntered toward me, clad in a black varsity jacket over a white hoodie and baggy black sweatpants paired with stylish white Tommy Hilfiger sneakers.

I raised an eyebrow, curiosity piqued, and posed a question, "Whose car is this?"

He reached for my duffle bag, swinging it over his shoulder. "It's mine," Parsa then nonchalantly replied, his tone laced with boredom, as I trailed behind him. He casually placed my bag in the back seat before opening the passenger door, and gesturing for me to get in.

"Get in," he commanded, his expression betraying no emotion.

I clicked my tongue as I seated myself in the plush leather seat, feeling its softness against my tired body. The early morning mist hung in the air, encircling us in a tranquil atmosphere. As Parsa shifted the car into gear and the engine roared to life, we exited the alley.

"Where are we going?" I asked, fastening my seatbelt with a curious glance at him.

Parsa flicked the stereo on, filling the car with soothing music, before replying coolly, "North."

"North? Like another province?" I wondered, my confusion mingled with a yawn as exhaustion washed over me.

Parsa bobbed his head in affirmation, his expression somewhat absent as if lost in thought. I couldn't help but inquire, concern lacing my voice, "Everything alright?"

His eyes darted towards me for a brief moment, then flicked back to the road. "Why do you ask?"

I shifted my gaze away, shrugging my shoulders. "I don't know."

"I'm still half-sleep," Parsa mumbled as he leaned his left elbow on the window ledge, his fingers absently rubbing his lips.

You look completely awake though... The words on the tip of my tongue were silenced as I observed him. I turned my gaze towards the window as we merged onto the highway. My eyelids felt heavier with each passing minute as silence enveloped us, the tranquil ambiance enticing me to sleep.

~

As I awoke from my peaceful slumber, my eyes slowly flickered open, adjusting to the bright light. I glanced around, awestruck by the remarkable sight that met my gaze. The sun had finally ascended, its golden rays filtering through partially gloomy clouds and the tall trees surrounding us. Parsa navigated the winding route effortlessly; the car's windows were slightly open to allow a gentle breeze to circulate within the cabin.

The cool, crisp air of autumn washed over me, sending a shiver of anticipation through my body as my eyes devoured the tall trees that lined the route. Golden and red leaves swirled in the air, gently falling from the trees, creating a mesmerizing dance. The road snaked through breathtaking landscapes of lush forests, rolling hills, and valleys, creating an enchanting vista that enveloped me in pure wonder and serenity. Soft raindrops descended from the sky, filling the air with the fragrance of wet soil.