Chapter 45

Sunlight streamed through the window that I had broken the other day, the beams cutting through the dust in the air. The distant sound of children's laughter invaded the silence, pulling me out of the haze of unconsciousness. I blinked, my eyes heavy, and groaned as I shifted on the cold, hard floor. Those damn kids... Their high-pitched giggles grated on my nerves, each one like a needle in my skull. Why don't they shut up?

I rubbed my face in frustration, a heavy sigh escaping my lips as I stared blankly at the ceiling. My mind wandered to tomorrow—Saturday morning. Ugh...

Then I noticed a soft thud of a ball rolling across the floor. I turned my head to the right, staring at it as if it somehow held the answer to all my problems.

"Agh! I told you not to kick it that way!" A boy's voice rang out from the yard above.

"My leg tripped!" another kid whined in defense.

I looked up at the window, where four little legs were clustered near the opening. As they bickered, a familiar voice drifted over the noise, growing louder as she approached. "Don't go near there! My dad said there's a thief in the basement!" Parmis, my half-sister, warned them, her voice laced with fear.

The boy laughed. "That must be a story..."

"What should we do? How are we supposed to get our ball back?" the other girl asked, sounding worried. "Those men won't let us go there..."

A thief, huh? A slow smirk crept across my face. Interesting...

I lifted myself off the floor, the heavy chain dragging across the ground, its metallic clink echoing in the hollow space. The sound irritated me, but I pushed it aside, stepping toward the ball. I picked it up, weighing it in my hand as I moved closer to the window. As I did, the boy bent down to peer through the gap. His eyes widened in terror the moment our gazes locked.

"There's really someone down here!" He yelped, stumbling backward. "He looks really scary!"

Parmis and the other girl crouched beside him, looking through the broken window. "Oh... that's my brother..." Parmis muttered, taken aback by my appearance as if seeing me here had shaken her.

"Hey! Get away from the basement!" A guard's voice boomed in the distance, startling the kids. The boy and girl quickly scrambled back, but Parmis remained, her eyes glued to my chained ankle, the curiosity in her expression unmasked.

"What are you doing down there?" she asked quietly, her voice tinged with confusion.

I stepped closer, the chain pulling tight, preventing me from getting too near the window. I raised my head, locking my eyes on her. "Parmis," I said slowly, my voice calm, calculated. "Come down if you want your ball back..."

She flinched at the sound of her name, her cheeks flushing. "This is... the first time... you've ever called me by my name..."

"Young Lady! Stay away from the window!" The guard shouted again, his footsteps nearing.

In an instant, I dropped the ball and stretched my arms toward Parmis. Her focus shifted to the guard's voice, but I seized the moment. With a sharp pull, I dragged her tiny body down through the window, her startled gasp filling the air as I wrapped her tightly in my arms.

The guard's eyes bulged as he realized what had happened. "Open the Fucking door! He got her!" he bellowed, panic rising in his voice as he turned to the man guarding the basement entrance.

I moved fast. With one arm holding Parmis close, I snatched a shard of shattered glass from the floor with my free hand. The jagged edge glittered ominously in daylight as I pressed it near her throat.