Chapter 17

When all groups have been in the field, they are called together by instructor Jung. "Okay, soldiers," he shouts, "I am pleasantly surprised at how this practice battle turned out. All groups have worked hard and there are certainly some points that can be improved in all groups. But.... Still, I have a nice surprise for one of the groups," he says, laughing.

"Group two, would you please come forward?" he asks and Jimin looks at his team members in surprise. "I would like to invite you to join the higher trained soldiers in the next six months to train for the next practice battle. This means that in the next battle you will join the enemy side and try to make things as difficult as possible for the other groups." Instructor Jung looks at the soldiers and sees the joy and disbelief in their eyes. "You were by far the best group in the field today. Your strongest point was communication and you were only careless a few times, resulting in two minor injuries. Very well done and therefore this reward for your group."

Instructor Jung turns to the other groups and continues: "The film material remains available to you and you can watch it again at any time. Please report this to your teacher and he will be happy to help you with it."

"I propose that we all get into the army vehicles and go back to the army base so that you can take a shower. I expect you all tonight in front of the canteen where we will have a BBQ to end this day in a festive way." Everyone salutes and then everyone walks happily to the army vehicle.

There is a festive atmosphere in the army wagon of group two. "Guys," Jimin begins, "I am so very proud of our group. We have done so well together, with the result that we can train with the higher trained soldiers," he shouts enthusiastically and everyone cheers along with him enthusiastically. Taehuyng looks proudly at his brother. Jimin has grown so much in the past year and he is so happy about it. He looks at Yoongi and sees him looking at him with pride too. He hopes Yoongi won't be angry if he ever learns that Jimin is actually a prince. It's not that Jimin is lying, but still... He himself wants to inform Jungkook during the next leave. He can't let it go any longer, he has to tell him so he can move forward in his relationship with Jungkook on an honest basis.

He startles when someone taps him and looks up. He meets Jungkook's beautiful eyes and smiles. "What are your thoughts?" Jungkook asks and Taehuyng looks at him with a smile. "I was looking at my brother," he says, "I am so proud of how he has developed over the past year. He was always so insecure about himself and what others would think of him, but now he stands up as the leader of our group and he has done so well. And the whole thing with Soobin didn't get him down either." They both look at Jimin who is the shining center and is cheered on by the group.

When they arrive at the army base, they grab their shower supplies and walk to the laundry room, where it is busy because everyone wants to take a shower. When they are done, they walk towards the canteen, where the kitchen staff is already busy setting up the BBQ and all the food.

They decide to sit at one of the tables and after a while Woozi also joins the group. "Congratulations guys," he says, "well done. It also looked really professional on the screen, you worked well together. That was different for us," says Woozi with a sigh.

"Oh tell me," Jimin says with interest. "Well, with us there was no group communication at all and there was one person who felt he was good enough to give command. Of course I don't have to explain to you who that is," says Woozi with a sour face. "I'm sure you all saw how things almost went wrong for us and we were almost unable to save the people being held hostage. It is that Soobin was eliminated and then we were able to save the people with the remaining soldiers in our group. Of course you understand that instructor Jung was not happy at all with what happened and Soobin received quite a lecture. The rest of the group still received a compliment from instructor Jung about how we handled it afterwards."

"Yes, things were indeed intense for you," Jungkook says. "It also seemed as if he knew what reward was attached to it and now that I talk about it, I suddenly remember that he recently announced that he was sure that he would be allowed to participate in the next training battle with the higher trained soldiers," says Jungkook as he looks at the rest of the group.

Jungkook looks at Taehuyng and nods imperceptibly. "We recently followed him and saw him come out of the dormitory of the higher trained soldiers. He is planning something," says Taehuyng. The rest of the group looks at him in shock.

Jimin looks at Yoongi. He sees him staring at the ground. He takes his hand and Yoongi looks at him sadly. Jimin gently squeezes his hand to let him know not to worry about him and smiles at him. He feels strong after today, although he will always remain on his guard when it comes to Soobin. Just a few more weeks and then they will have leave and he is really looking forward to that. "Hyung, what are your plans for the next leave," Jimin asks and Yoongi looks at him in surprise. "I haven't thought about that at all," Yoongi says. "Would you like to come to Busan with Jungkook," Jimin asks hopefully. "But of course," Yoongi says. "I can't speak for Jungkook of course, but I would love to come to you." Jimin smiles, he can't wait for the time to come.

"Soldiers, the BBQ is ready and the first meat is on it. Enjoy your meal," instructor Jung shouts and the boys decide to walk forward to fill their plates with all the goodies that have been laid out.

Jimin walks a little behind and is suddenly stopped. When he looks to see who is holding him by the arm, he sees Soobin. "Don't think that you are suddenly completely the man, because you are not. I should have gotten that reward, not you," Soobin growls in his ear. Jimin glares at him. "Are you serious?" he asks Soobin. It's not just about you, it's about the whole group and because you were selfish, you ruined it not just for yourself, but for your whole group. So that's your own fault. Our group has earned this reward, we have worked hard for it together. Maybe you should think about that better than bothering me every time," Jimin says before pulling his arm away. "Don't think I'll leave you alone," Soobin threatens and walks away angrily.

"Are you OK". Jimin turns around and sees Instructor Jung standing next to him. "Oh uhm, yes," says Jimin, "apparently someone who can't handle losing well." He smiles at the instructor and the instructor gives him a wink. "You know where to find me if he bothers you again. Enjoy your meal," he says and continues walking. Jimin feels relieved now that he knows that the instructor is behind him and he walks to the BBQ where the other boys are also standing.

When they have all filled their plates, they sit back down at the table and enjoy everything. After everyone has eaten and the kitchen staff has cleaned up everything, a number of soldiers light a fire. They all sit in a large circle around the fire and the stories flow. Jimin sits there quietly listening to it all and enjoying this day to the fullest. No one can take that away from him anymore.

He feels someone take his hand and intertwine their fingers and he looks to the side. Yoongi looks at him and he sees nothing but love in his beautiful eyes. He smiles at Yoongi and squeezes his hand gently. Yoongi squeezes back gently and looks back at the fire.

Jimin thinks about what Taehuyng said to him tonight before they walked to the washroom. That it's time to come clean with Yoongi, that it's time to let him know that he's a prince, but Jimin is unsure. Because what if Yoongi no longer likes him, that he jeopardizes the relationship they now have together. He doesn't want to lose Yoongi.

Jimin sighs and stands up. He is tired and decides it is time to go to bed. Yoongi also gets up and after saying goodbye to the others, they walk to the dorm together. They change clothes and dive under the covers where they soon fall asleep.