[13]

Wipe to the Rainbooms walking down a hall, instruments and drumsticks in hand, with Spike leading the way.

Rose: I don’t think we should use a classroom.

They approach Flash, but do not notice until Rose runs into him from behind.

Her blush and embarrassed giggle are met by a very hairy eyeball aimed along the neck of his guitar.

Rose: Ah sorry!,we really need to stop bumping into each other like this.

Longer shot; his bandmates are nearby, leaning idly against the lockers, and he addresses them as if the girls were not even present.

Flash: Uh, you guys hear something?

(Next two lines overlap.)

Drummer: Uh-uh.

Bassist: Uh, nope:

Rose: (raising her voice) I said, “We have to stop—”

Flash: There it is again. So annoying.

Rose: Why are you acting like this? I thought we were friends. (He pulls in a scornful breath.)

Flash: Yeah, and then you decide to come back here just so you can beat me in the Battle of the Bands. I want this, Rose, and you’re trying to take it from me! Some friend.

Rose: That’s not why— (Applejack stops her with a hand on her shoulder.)

Applejack: Come, on, Rose. (The other Rainbooms move out.) We’ve got things to do. (She ushers Rose after them.)

Flash: (calling after Rose) You really think you’re gonna help them? Heh! I bet you have no idea what you’re even doing!

The lower lip Rose catches in her teeth, and the tears welling up in her eyes, tell just how close to home those words have struck.

She wipes them away as the camera pans back the way the group came, the sound of Adagio’s low chuckle cutting in.

Stop on the Dazzlings a short distance back, loving every minute of this drama.

Adagio: Tears already? This is only the first round.

Aria and Sonata break into vicious giggles, but stop at a beep from the intercom.

On the start of the next line, pan quickly to a close-up of the speaker mounted high on the wall.

Celestia: (over speaker) The next band to take the stage will be Trixie and the Illusions.

Adagio: Better head back. (walking past; others follow) We’re supposed to go on after Trixie.

Cut to an adjoining hall as they round the corner into it.

A sudden gesture from Adagio stops them in their tracks; cut to just behind them, framing Sunset leaning against the wall in the shadows near the double doors at the hall’s end.

She is not at all amused, and she pushes off from the wall to give the three a good look at her expression.

Sunset: You’re never gonna get away with this.

Adagio: Why? Because you didn’t?

In close-up, the species-switched unicorn’s ire melts into doubt and a decent bit of fear at record-breaking speed at this reminder of her own thwarted scheme.

Adagio: (circling slowly around her) Oh, we know all about you, Sunset Shimmer. You’ve got quite the reputation at Canterlot High. (Aria starts to circle as well.)

Sunset: I’ve changed! I’m in a much better place now!

Aria: Waiting in the wings while your friends have all the fun?

Adagio: Oh, yes. You girls are so tight, and yet…they didn’t ask you to be in the band.

Aria: Probably afraid no one would want to see them play if she was in the group.

Only after both girls have backed o.s. does Sonata move in close to offer her own opinion.

Sonata: Too bad. (Duck away, then back in from another angle.) So sad. (Away again.)

Adagio: (from o.s.) If it’s any consolation—

Cut to just behind Sunset, framing the three.

Adagio: (as they walk toward her) —no one is going to remember you at all by the time we’re done.

They pass Sunset, Adagio nudging her roughly toward Sonata, who bumps her right back the other way.

The girl in the leather jacket glowers after them and rubs her shoulder moodily.