𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐯𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐬 (𝟐/𝟑)

a/n: no real plot tbh, but it does have sort of a storyline idk. anyways this is mostly just you and nat trying to figure out married life. the title is not accurate at all anymore but yeah

this is way too long tbh but i like it anyway

When you wake up, you feel an all too familiar body enveloped in your arms. Her back is pressed against your front, her hair is tickling your face. It takes a few moments for you to fully regain consciousness, but once you do, an unmistakable sense of warmth floods you. You shift your hold on Natasha slightly, trying not to wake her up.

You have no idea how many times you've woken up in her bed like this — drunk on sleep and Natasha's presence, warmed by both her and the linen bedsheets she loves so much. The sun is shining on you from behind, your body shielding Natasha from the light.

Hesitantly, you lean in to press a kiss to the spot behind her ear. A well-known scent of her favorite shampoo fills your senses, and you savor the sensation it brings you. Another kiss, this time to the crook of her neck, and Natasha stirs awake in your arms.

She huffs softly, like she always does when being brought back to consciousness after a particularly deep sleep, and shifts in your arms to roll over and face you.

"Morning", she mumbles, instinctively burying her face against your chest. Old habits die hard, apparently. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good", you nod, running your hand up her back. "You?"

"Me too." Natasha breathes in your scent, nuzzling her face against your shirt. Then she finally looks up at you again, silently studying your face. Uncertainty hangs between you, as the newness of the situation still lingers in the backs of your minds. Her attempt at lighting the mood is not thought through, but she decides it's worth a shot. "You seem pretty awake. No cranky morning face?"

You huff, feigning indignation, and pinch her side. "Hard to be cranky in a bed this soft."

She gasps quietly, trying to squirm out of your hold. Your arm tightens around her, making any effort at escaping futile. "Watch it! No pinching the wife!"

'Wife' — the word rings in your ears. It's still so foreign and unusual, a sudden reminder of all the changes you've gone through and will continue to go through. You quickly brush it off and smirk, pinching her side again.

"Oh? Is that a law?", you tease, leaning in so your face is closer to hers. Natasha narrows her eyes as she tries to keep up her mock-offended glare, subconsciously mirroring your movement. Her nose is mere inches away from yours.

"It should be. I didn't sign up for this kind of abuse when I married you."

You scoff, letting your hand rest on her waist. "Sensitive, are you?"

"Sensitive, my ass", Natasha retorts, trying not to show how your touch is affecting her. The banter feels comforting, a welcome distraction from all the uncertainty. "I'm just ticklish."

"I can tell." You gently drum your fingers against her waist — a simple, yet strangely intimate action — and study her. Despite everything, this still feels foreign. You weren't even separated for that long, and even when you were just friends, you still showed each other affection — but this, with the marriage and everything, is more real.

Natasha keeps her eyes on you, practically watching the gears in your head turn. She can see how unsure you are, and she can't blame you. "You're thinking", she states, placing a soothing hand on your cheek.

"I am. It's pretty hard not to think. Even when you're trying not to think, you're still thinking. You can stop that inner dialogue, but to actually clear your mind is-" You cut yourself off, exhaling quietly. "I'm rambling."