17 | a desire to be (something)

17 ☆ ( "ACT ON YOUR LOGIC

17 ☆ ( "ACT ON YOUR LOGIC." )

"Sato," I looked up from my bandaged fingers

"Sato," I looked up from my bandaged fingers. Every other digit was wrapped in a bandaid, covering cuts from yesterday night's activities. Teacher Fujii seemed concerned now that I was injured in both leg and arm but didn't pressure me any further than he had in the past. "Since we're a few months into your final year of senior high and a few days away from summer break, is there anything you have in mind for the future?"

I sat up softly, pushing away my feelings from yesterday. "I'm not too sure. I think I'll go where the deities tell me I should go."

"Well, you can't get there without hard work," But, Teacher Fujii realized that probably sounded wrong, so he cleared his throat. "Not that you haven't already. You're aware that you're ranked number one, right?"

I raised my eyebrows, pretending it was the first. "That's the first time I'm hearing about this, Teacher," I shook my head. "Am I really?"

Teacher Fujii nodded, looking down at the form that read 'Student Future Interests.' I swallowed, looking at his eyes. "You are, Sato. I know you hold yourself to quite the standard, so I hope you're aware this is a great achievement," Teacher smiled. "You can get in just about anywhere as long as you pass the entrance exam, and with that rank, you can get into most of the top universities."

Then, he leaned in, smiling. "Is there anywhere specific you'd like to go?"

Our school was in Okayama. That was eight hours away from Tokyo. Nagoya was four hours away. It was also two hours away from Osaka. Kyoto was around two hours, too. "Nope," I shook my head, fast at first–but it slowed down. "I just want to go far, far away."

"Like, an hour away?"

"No. Farther than that. Very far away–that my parents have a hard time visiting me. I want to go where the wind takes me, somewhere far–" But the knot in my throat cut my words off. I realized Teacher Fujii's eyes were screaming for an explanation. I had to save this before I said too much. "Yet, I want to follow Nishimura."