The Most Wonderful Time of the Year... And The Storm of Surprises

(December 9th, 2023.... Onwards to Memphis.)

Dante: And what about balloons? You got the custom order cake I requested too, right?

Dante Butler, the otherworldly talented, having found sometime after practice to continue another intense task of his was knee deep in it. It was the yearly tradition planning of two birthdays that would be once again going down in the same week, with Hailee's falling on the same day of the start towards a back to back for the Mavericks as he'd situated in Downtown Memphis given the team would be playing the rising star of Jaren Jackson Jr., as his rapidly transcending superstar teammate Ja Morant landed himself in a calvacade of trouble over the off-season, but his suspension was nearing its end, however the man known as Ja Wick wouldn't get the chance to show up for the Southwest Division showdown. But after the quick pit stop down Beale Street, it would be right back to familiar digs and home-cooking as the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves would be pulling into Dallas almost immediately after this one-offer. But managing your personal life and professional life could be quite the gambit and Dante found himself in that precarious situation. Right now he had been talking to a caterer about the birthday spread he wanted for he and Hailee's dual birthday celebration before another call had come through.

Dante: Hang on, I gotta call you back, someone's clicking through- Yo!

Amanda: Don't you yo me, son!

Dante: Mom? I thought you were swamped today at the office, what did you blaze through your all patients and get them admitted that quickly.

Amanda: Very funny, Dante. But you can clearly tell I'm in no laughing mood- HOW HAVE YOU NOT GIVEN ME YOUR WISH LIST ON AMAZON?!

After being subjected to his birth-giver's shrill screams on the other line, he mockingly cleans his ear out before he calmly explaining.

Dante: Sorry mom, I would have but you know? Pro athlete, I haven't had decent enough time between practice to comprise a wishlist, let alone pick a venue.

Amanda: Well what about the guest list, who's in charge of that?

Dante: Given I won't be able to tend to that, Hailee assured me she's putting together quite the list. That's the thing too, she's been really secretive about the list too. I do know all of the boys are going to be there, our family, hers, among others. I guess I'll be finding out soon enough.

Amanda: And how's your eye? I trust the swelling has gone down significantly for my Little Star.

Dante: It has, amazing what wonders our training staff can do with a simple eye patch, some gauze for the continuous leakage and Neosporin. Swelling is a thing of the past, all that's left is just the scarring. That should be gone by next month more than anything. Enough about me, how are Abuela and Abuelo doing?

Amanda: He's taking it day by day.... some are easier than others. Though I can say he hasn't been as haggid when he first up came here. Olivia and Hakeem are spending as much time as they can get with him. The news hit them hard but they're glad they're getting more with him before he eventually passes.

Dante: Yeah... I know. I swear if it wasn't for all these games, I'd take Abuelo to the park, or play chess with him... he's still sharp up there in the head. Hell, I'd even take him bowling if I could. It fucking sucks I have to play on Christmas. Plus side, it is in Phoenix so not that long of a trip from here so I'd be able to come back in time after the game to probably revel in the dinner. That's hoping for the best since we're the late game.

Amanda: Baby, you're going to figure it out. You always do. I- what's that. Okay I gotta go, sweetheart, the patient that's suspected of having strep throat just came into our office.