Chapter 20 - I'm Sorry

Chapter Song Rec: Heartbeat by Childish Gambino (I forgot if I used this already)

(This is a long one guys, probably the longest chapter yet. Get ready!! <3)

_______________

"So this is the place, huh?" You asked, crouching down next to the Prowler in front of a rackety apartment building. It was on the Upper East Side, fairly close to your own apartment. That was scary. 

The Prowler nodded, clasping his hands together as he looked over the edge. "You up for a stakeout?"

You scowled. "Why can't we just go in and put an end to this? We know he's in there."

He sighed, looking away. "Can't risk getting hurt. Who knows...maybe he knows we're here too. Then what? If it's all a trap?"

You went silent. "Let's just wait for him to leave...or to at least see him before we make a move, okay?" He told you, sitting back, hands flat against the concrete of the rooftop. "Come on, loosen up-" he nudged you slightly, pressing his shoulder against yours. "We're so close."

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right." you said, clearing your throat and pulling your knees to your chest as you watched the apartment building quietly. 

The two of you sat in silence.

"Uh, Prowler?" you asked softly, looking over at him.

He glanced back at you, letting his head fall back slightly. "Yeah?"

"What's next? After we stop Mysterio?"

He chuckled. "Getting a little ahead of yourself, huh?" he asked, leaning towards you. "I don't know. Move on to the next villain, I guess."

"Yeah, I know...I meant for us. What's next for us? For...whatever this is?" You asked gesturing between the two of you. His expression faltered. "What do you mean?"

You just glared at him, not sure how to explain what you were asking. "Like US-" you repeated, pointing down at the ground. "Like for us...as a- a couple?"

His breath hitched in his throat. "A couple?"

You couldn't tell if he was excited or weirded out. You cowered from him slightly, looking down. "Yeah? Are we...not?"

"No- no of course we are- I- I just wasn't expecting you to say it-" he stammered out, obviously guilty with how you looked right now. "Yeah. We're a couple. Sure." he breathed, folding his arms over his chest as he looked over the edge. "This is...kind of new to me." he admitted after a moment of silence, looking back at you before laughing softly. "I don't really know what I'm doing."

"Me neither." you said with a grin, looking back at him. "I guess we're figuring this out together, huh?"

"Yeah." he looked a little flustered when he laughed. "Yeah. We are."

"You ever gonna tell me what your real name is?" you asked, tilting your head to the side slightly.

He paused. "No."

"What? Why not?!" you exclaimed, pushing his shoulder. "We can't be a couple if I don't even know your name!"

"I can't tell you who I am!" He said back, eyes wide. "You know that!"

"Don't tell me who you are...just your name!" You pleaded, clasping your hands together. "Please- I hate calling you Prowler!" 

He just shook his head, laughing under his breath. "Nah. It's funny having you call me Prowler."

"No it's not!" You begged. "Please, just tell me your name. It's not like I'll tell anyone!"