Chapter 5 - What are you doing here?

Chapter Song Rec: Juju on that Beat (TZ Anthem) by Zay Hilfigerrr

_____________________________

Miles' POV

_____________________________

"Which way?"

"Take a left"

Miles quickly swerved left, sliding into an alleyway and making his escape, swiftly climbing up the building and only stopping once he reached the rooftop. He looked down, watching as the thugs that had been chasing him looked into the alleyway, and not seeing him, they continued their way, trigger-happy fingers clutching their guns tightly.

Miles held his chest as he panted and sat back against the wall, trying to calm his beating heart and catch his breath. "That was close man. Too close."

"That's what happens when you try to play hero" Miles rolled his eyes at his Uncle's lecturing, despite knowing that he was right. Aaron had told him to stay low, keep out of view and grab the money, but those thugs had pissed him off to no end.

"That cop? Davis? He had it coming for him. He shouldn't've been snooping around Osborne's shit. That's what happens to pigs who try too hard."

Miles clenched his jaw as the words reappeared in his mind. Those assholes had been talking about his dad like he was nothing. Like it was his own fault that the Goblin killed him.

Only a few months before his death, Jefferson Davis, Miles' dad, started a search to find out who the Green Goblin terrorizing the city was. But everyone already knew who he was. Norman Osborne. King of New York. Even then, there wasn't any real proof, but his dad had believed that by initiating a search they might be able to put him behind bars for good.

That didn't end well.

Miles knew he shouldn't have intervened. But he refused to let those dickheads talk about his dad like that. So he'd jumped in, and proceeded to get his ass handed to him. He was strong, but not strong enough to take on a group of armed, experienced criminals all by himself.

He'd narrowly escaped, but luckily he'd been able to grab the money Aaron had sent him out for. And now, like they always did, they'd use that money to buy the materials to upgrade the Prowler tech even further. Armored steel, magnesium flares, enhanced gauntlets. And Miles's favorite, titanium-lined claws.

The Prowler claws were definitely the best part of the suit. They were strong, intimidating, and Miles' exceptional boxing skills made them all the more deadly.

"Alright. I'm heading back."

Miles began the long trek home, using his grappler to swing through the city and climb up buildings. Moving like this required expertise, but he was definitely an expert at being the Prowler at this point. He'd taken up the mantle only a week after his dad died, practically begging Aaron to let him join him in his work.

The Prowler wasn't supposed to protect the city. When Aaron was the Prowler, he mainly stole and worked for people like Tombstone as a mercenary. But Miles didn't want to do that. No, he wanted to be the Prowler for the control. Because even if he couldn't control his life outside of the secret identity, he felt that whenever he put on the mask he was transformed into a completely different person.

A better person. More powerful, more quick, more intelligent...the list continued. That mask helped him fight the Sinister Six. That mask helped him on his path to avenge his father.

That mask was the only thing standing between this city and oblivion.

And it was his.

As Miles approached his Uncle's apartment, in a neighborhood fairly close to Oscorp, he caught a glimpse of someone out of the corner of his eye. He ducked, the eyes of his mask narrowing slightly as the lenses shifted to a clearer view. He approached silently, quiet pattering produced from the noise his shoes made as they hit the pavement, straining to make out whoever was there. And then he saw them.