chapter 4: financial distress

As Sarah arrived home one night, she overheard her parents discussing her school expenses in hushed tones. Her father, looking weary after a long day of driving his jeepney, sighed heavily.

"I don't know how we're going to manage, Maria. The tuition fees and everything else keep piling up. We barely have enough for the essentials... We're in great financial distress."

Maria, Sarah's mother, who had been folding laundry despite looking visibly tired and unwell, nodded sadly. "

I know, Antonio. I just don't want Sarah to worry. She's working so hard, and she shouldn't have to stress about money on top of everything else."

Sarah stood quietly in the doorway, her heart sinking. She had been aware of her family's financial struggles, but hearing them discuss it so openly weighed heavily on her. She knew her father's earnings from driving the jeepney were unpredictable, especially with the recent repairs. Her mother's income from laundry work was barely enough to cover their daily needs, let alone her school expenses.

Taking a deep breath, Sarah stepped into the room. "Mom, Dad, I'm here."

Antonio and Maria turned to her, their expressions a mix of love and concern.

"Sarah, sweetheart," Maria began, her voice tender, "we were just talking about how we can manage your school expenses. It's not easy right now."

Sarah nodded, her mind racing with worry and determination.

"I know, Ma. Pa. I'll figure out something. I can apply for scholarships or maybe take on some extra work. I'll find a way."

Antonio placed a reassuring hand on Sarah's shoulder.

"We believe in you, hija. You've always been resourceful. Just focus on your studies, and we'll handle the rest as best as we can."

Sarah managed a small smile, trying to stay strong despite the uncertainty.

"Thank you, Pa,Ma. I'll do my best."

As she retreated to her room that night, Sarah knew the weight of responsibility had just grown heavier on her shoulders. She was determined not only to excel in her studies but also to alleviate the financial burden on her family, no matter what sacrifices it required.

As Sarah sat at her desk, staring blankly at her textbooks, she whispered to herself, "How am I supposed to focus when everything feels like it’s falling apart?" She glanced at her phone, checking the time, knowing she’d have to help her mother soon.Her chest tightened with the weight of it all. "Dad’s doing everything he can… but it’s not enough. And Mom…" She bit her lip, blinking back tears. "I have to keep it together. For them. For me."

Sarah took a deep breath, her eyes hardening with determination. "I can’t give up. I’ll find a way. Maybe another part-time job, maybe I’ll talk to the school again. There has to be a way to pay off these fees." She pressed her palms to her forehead, muttering, "Just one more hurdle. I’ve made it this far… I can’t let this stop me."With a final glance at her open books, she nodded to herself, "One step at a time. I’ve got this. I have to."

Despite Sarah's determination and efforts to secure scholarships and part-time jobs, the cost of tuition seemed impossible to manage. Her days were a whirlwind of studying, attending classes, and caring for her sick mother, all while dealing with constant financial worries.

In moments of quiet reflection, Sarah found comfort in her strong belief that education could lead to a better life for herself and her family. She drew strength from her parents' sacrifices and their shared dream of a future free from financial hardship.

As the final exams drew closer, Sarah faced a critical moment where her resilience would be tested like never before. Each day, the pressure to succeed grew stronger, but she refused to give in to despair. Instead, she used her fear and uncertainty to fuel a renewed determination to succeed, knowing that achieving her dreams was worth every sacrifice and challenge.

In the face of adversity, Sarah remained steadfast—a source of hope in difficult times. Her unwavering determination was a powerful example of how people can shape their futures, refusing to let circumstances dictate their destinies.

During lunchtime in the cafeteria, Sarah overheard Vera and Carmi discussing their part-time jobs. Gathering her courage, she approached them and asked about their work.

Sarah: "Hi, sorry to interrupt. I couldn't help but overhear you talking about part-time jobs. Could you tell me more about it?"

Vera (smiling warmly): "Of course! We work part-time at a local cafe near campus. It's not too demanding, and the pay is decent."

Carmi (nodding): "Yeah, it's a great way to earn some extra money for expenses like tuition and books."

Sarah (curious): "That sounds helpful. How did you find the job? Are they hiring?"

Vera (encouragingly): "They are! We can give you the manager's contact information if you're interested."

Sarah (gratefully): "Thank you so much. I'll look into it."

The three of them continued chatting under the shade of a large Narra tree, sharing advice and exchanging contact details. Sarah felt a sense of relief knowing there might be a solution to her financial worries, thanks to Vera and Carmi's willingness to help.

In the evening after their class, Vera and Carmi extended an invitation to Sarah to join them at a coffee shop. Sarah hesitated initially, worried about not having enough money to pay her way. However, Vera insisted, reassuring Sarah that she would cover the expenses and that they simply wanted to discuss the job opportunity in more detail.

Reluctantly, Sarah agreed, grateful for their generosity and eager to learn more about the part-time job. Together, they walked to a cozy coffee shop nearby, where they found a quiet corner to talk.

Vera: "Sarah, don't worry about paying tonight. Carmi and I want to help you understand more about the job at the cafe and see if it's something you'd be interested in."

Carmi: "Yeah, it's no problem at all. We're all in this together, right?"

Sarah, touched by their kindness, nodded gratefully. Over coffee and snacks, they discussed the responsibilities, work hours, and the application process for the job. Sarah listened intently, asking questions and expressing her eagerness to apply.

Vera: "You'd fit right in, Sarah. The manager is looking for reliable and motivated students, and I think you'd be perfect."

Carmi: "Plus, it's a good way to earn while balancing your studies. We all understand how tough it can be."

Sarah left the coffee shop that evening feeling hopeful and supported, grateful for Vera and Carmi's encouragement. Their gesture had not only alleviated her worries about finances but also strengthened her resolve to pursue opportunities that could ease her family's financial burden.

One evening, Carmi invited Sarah to come along and visit her workplace, a lively bar. Sarah was unsure at first, but her curiosity and friendship with Carmi encouraged her to accept.

Inside the bar, music played softly and colorful lights brightened the atmosphere. People chatted and laughed while enjoying drinks.

Carmi led Sarah through the crowd to a spot where she could watch without being in the way. Sarah observed Carmi confidently mixing drinks and talking to customers with a friendly smile.

Carmi: "Welcome to my world, Sarah! It can be busy, but I enjoy the energy here."

Sarah watched how Carmi handled the fast-paced environment with skill and efficiency. She admired Carmi's confidence and professionalism.

As the evening went on, Carmi introduced Sarah to her coworkers and explained more about her job. They shared stories and laughs, bonding over their experiences and goals.

By the end of the night, Sarah left the bar feeling impressed by Carmi's hard work and dedication. It was an eye-opening experience that strengthened their friendship and made Sarah curious about different career paths beyond her studies.