chapter 58: at the wake

At the wake, Sarah remained in a daze, struggling to process the whirlwind of emotions. The room was filled with mourners, but she felt isolated in her grief. Lucas quietly took charge, arranging flowers and comforting guests, all while keeping a watchful eye on her.

When Tristan's family arrived, his mother was visibly distraught, her cries echoing through the somber atmosphere. In her anguish, she turned to Sarah, her voice laced with accusation.

Tristan's Mother: "This is all your fault! If you had only—"

Before she could continue, Lucas stepped forward, his demeanor calm yet firm.

Lucas: "This isn't the time for blame. Sarah loved Tristan deeply. We're all here to mourn, not to cast accusations."

His words hung in the air, a reminder of the pain they all shared. The mother paused, taken aback by his defense, and for a moment, the room fell silent.

Lucas: "We need to support each other right now. Tristan wouldn't want us to fight."

Lucas continued, his voice resolute but measured.

Lucas: "No one wants this situation, and certainly not Tristan. What he deserves now is our respect. This is his wake, and we should honor him, not turn against one another."

He glanced around the room, making eye contact with Tristan's family, urging them to understand the gravity of the moment.

Lucas: "Let's focus on celebrating his life and supporting each other in our grief. Tristan wouldn't want any division among us; he would want us to remember the love and joy he brought into our lives."

His words resonated in the quiet room, reminding everyone of the man they had lost. F

As he spoke, Sarah felt a flicker of gratitude for Lucas, who stood by her side, a steady presence amid the chaos of grief.

In the middle of the night, Sarah sitting on the bench inside the funeral parlor, tears streaming down her face as she whispered into the darkness.

Sarah: "Why did you leave us, Tristan? How could you just go? We needed you..."

Her heart ached with every word, the weight of her loss overwhelming. Beside her, Stan clutched the remote control robot his father had brought home, the one that now felt like a bittersweet reminder of his dad's love.

Stan: (quietly) "Mom... can we play with it?"

Sarah looked at her son, his innocent question cutting deeper into her grief. She reached out, pulling him close, wrapping her arms around him.

Sarah: "Oh, sweetheart, I wish we could. But... it's not the same without your Dad."

They sat together in the dim light, the robot resting in Stan's small hands, a fragile connection to the man they both missed so desperately. The silence hung heavy, filled only with the sound of Sarah's quiet sobs and the soft whir of the toy.

From nowhere, Lucas appeared. He carried two cups of warm milk and a plate of sandwiches, a comforting presence in the somber room.

Lucas: "I thought you might need something to eat."

He approached them with a soft smile, placing the cups and plate on the bedside table. Sarah looked up, her tear-streaked face momentarily surprised by his unexpected kindness.

Sarah: "Thank you, Lucas. We... we weren't really hungry."

Lucas: "I know it's hard to think about food right now, but it's important to take care of yourselves. Stan, you should eat something."