chapter 27: the flasbacks

Flashback a few months ago...

Sarah sat on the edge of her bed, staring at the positive pregnancy test in her hand. Her emotions were a whirlwind—excitement, fear, and uncertainty all tangled together. She knew the pregnancy would be difficult, both physically and emotionally, given her complex medical history.

Lucas knocked gently on her door before entering. He saw the test in her hand and immediately understood. Without a word, he sat beside her and took her hand.

Lucas: "Hey, it's going to be okay. We're in this together."

Sarah: (tearfully) "What if something goes wrong? What if I can't do this?"

Lucas: (softly) "You can do this, Sarah. You're stronger than you think. And you have me, every step of the way."

Flashback a few weeks later

Sarah had been bedridden for days, struggling with severe morning sickness and the stress of her condition. Lucas brought over a tray with her favorite soup and a gentle smile.

Lucas: "I made your favorite. Thought it might help you feel a little better."

Sarah: (weakly) "Thank you, Lucas. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Lucas: "You don't have to thank me. I'm here because I care about you. We're going to get through this, together."

Flashback  weeks later

Sarah had just returned from a difficult doctor's appointment, where she had received concerning news about her pregnancy. She felt overwhelmed and scared.

Lucas was waiting for her at her apartment, his presence a comforting constant. He wrapped her in a hug as soon as she walked through the door.

Sarah: (crying) "I'm so scared, Lucas. What if something happens to the baby?"

Lucas: (gently) "I know it's scary, Sarah. But you have to have faith. The doctors are doing everything they can, and so are you. I'm here for you, no matter what."

Lucas: (softly) "You don't have to worry about that. But, Sarah, I think there's something you need to do."

Sarah: (looking up) "What do you mean?"

Lucas: "I think you need to tell Tristan. He deserves to know, and you deserve to have his support. He might be able to help more than you realize."

Sarah: (shaking her head) "I can't, Lucas. What if he doesn't care? What if he thinks it's a mistake?"

Lucas: "Tristan isn't like that. He cares about you, even if he hasn't shown it in the way you want. He deserves to know, and you deserve to give him the chance to be there for you and the baby."

Sarah: (hesitant) "But what if it changes everything? What if he can't handle it?"

Lucas: "It might change things, but that's a risk worth taking. You can't carry this burden alone, Sarah. Tristan has a right to know, and you need all the support you can get."

Sarah: (sighing) "I don't know if I can do it, Lucas. I'm so afraid."

Lucas: (encouragingly) "I know you are, but you're one of the strongest people I know. You've faced so much already. You can do this. And remember, I'm here for you, no matter what happens."