chapter 35: Unexpected Visit

Early Morning – Sarah's Home

Sarah is starting her day, enjoying a quiet morning when there's an unexpected knock at the door. She opens it to find Tristan standing there, looking slightly hurried but determined.

Sarah: (surprised) "Tristan, what a surprise! I didn't expect you this early. Everything okay?"

Tristan: (nodding) "Good morning, Sarah. I just wanted to let you know in person that I'm heading out of the country for a work assignment. I'll be gone for a month or two."

Sarah: (her eyes widening slightly) "Oh, wow. That's quite a bit of time. I hope everything goes well with your assignment."

Tristan: (smiling reassuringly) "Thanks. I'll be busy, but I'll make sure to stay in touch when I can. I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye."

Sarah: (nodding) "I understand. We'll manage here. I appreciate you coming by to let me know."

Tristan: (pausing) "Yeah, I didn't want to leave any confusion. I'll miss Stan and you while I'm away."

Sarah: (smiling softly) "We'll miss you too. Take care of yourself, and good luck with everything."

Tristan: (nodding, giving Sarah a friendly hug) "Thanks, Sarah. I'll be back before you know it. Just wanted to make sure everything was settled before I left."

Sarah: (returning the hug) "Safe travels, Tristan. We'll be here, and I hope everything goes well for you."

Tristan: (smiling) "I appreciate it. I'll see you soon."

As Tristan turns to leave, Sarah watches him go with a mixture of emotions. Although he didn't address any of the recent issues or comments from his family, Sarah focuses on the present and the task of managing things while Tristan is away.

After Tristan leaves, Sarah closes the door and leans against it, feeling a mix of emotions. She takes a deep breath, talking to herself in a quiet, contemplative tone.

Sarah: (to herself) "So, Tristan's really going away for a while. A whole month or two... That's a long time."

(She glances around the room, her thoughts racing.)

Sarah: "I guess it's his job, and I understand that. But... why didn't he say goodbye to Stan? It's like he just... slipped out without a second thought."

(She walks over to where Stan's toys are scattered, picking up a stuffed animal and hugging it to her chest.)

Sarah: "Does he really care about Stan? He says he'll miss us, but leaving without even a goodbye kiss for his own son? It's hard not to question if he truly loves him, or if he's just doing what's expected."

(She sets the stuffed animal down and looks at a family photo on the wall.)

Sarah: "And what about Iris? He didn't say anything about her, didn't even mention his mother and sister's behavior. Maybe he's not ready to talk about it, or maybe he's just avoiding it."

(She sighs, rubbing her temples.)

Sarah: "It's just so confusing. I wish he had been clearer, or at least more present. But I guess I have to focus on what's here and now... Stan needs me to be strong and positive."

(She straightens up, taking a deep breath.)

Sarah: "I'll be okay. We'll be okay. We've managed this far, and we'll continue to do so. I just need to keep believing that everything will work out and that Stan will feel loved and secure, no matter what."