chapter 20: decision

In the days following their brief encounter in class, Tristan finds himself increasingly preoccupied with thoughts of Sarah. Despite his initial attempt to keep his distance, he can't help but feel drawn to her.

Tristan: (to himself, reflecting) "Don't fall for me," I said. But why do I find myself thinking about her all the time?

He tries to focus on his studies and basketball practice, but Sarah's presence lingers in his mind.

Tristan: (talking to his friend Dax) Man, I can't stop thinking about her. It's like... she's always there, you know?

Dax: (grinning knowingly) Looks like someone's got it bad.

Tristan: (shrugging) It's not like that. I just... I need to figure things out with her.

Meanwhile, Sarah keeps herself busy with her studies and helping her family, but Tristan's words echo in her mind.

Sarah: (thinking to herself) "Don't fall for me." But why do I feel this pull towards him?

She tries to push aside her feelings, focusing on her responsibilities, but Tristan's sincerity and kindness continue to touch her heart.

One afternoon, Tristan gathers his courage and reaches out to Sarah.

Tristan: (texting Sarah) Hey Sarah, can we talk? I'd like to see you.

Sarah hesitates before replying, conflicted but curious about what Tristan wants to discuss.

Sarah: (replying) Sure, Tristan, after the last class today.

They agree to meet, both uncertain yet hopeful about what the conversation might bring.

At their rendezvous spot after Sarah's last class, she and Tristan find a quiet corner to talk.

Sarah: (calmly but firmly) Tristan, what are we going to discuss?

Tristan: (nervously) About what I said—

Sarah: (interrupting gently) I know you made it clear not to fall for you. And I I promise I'll keep the agreement.

Tristan: (listening intently) What do you mean?

Sarah: (pausing, choosing her words carefully) I don't want either of us to have any misunderstandings. What happened between us was... unexpected. But it doesn't mean we're starting something serious.

Tristan: (nodding slowly) So... no strings attached?

Sarah: (Sarah saying it boldly though her heart aches...she knows there is no future between her and Tristan) Yes...

Tristan: (nodding)  It was a great night...  but I can't promise anything more than that one night.

Sarah: Well said. No expectations.

Tristan: (taking a deep breath) I understand, Sarah. I don't want you to feel pressured. But... can I be honest?

Sarah: (curious) Of course.

Tristan: (softly) I've never felt this way before. It's confusing, but... I'm glad it was with you.

Sarah: (smiling faintly) I'm glad too, Tristan. But I need to focus on my family and my studies right now. Can we agree to keep this a secret between us?

Tristan: (nodding, accepting) Yeah, I think that's best. 

They sit in silence for a moment, the weight of their conversation settling between them.

Sarah: (breaking the silence) Thank you for understanding, Tristan.

Tristan: (smiling gently) No worries Sarah... I am not a kiss and tell.