Blackmail

Amara came back home and saw Lucas playing with his phone in the living room.

"Lucas, I brought something for you."

"Huh? Why would you do that?" He looks displeased and stares at her with a frown.

"It's from your Uncle Stephen."

"Tsk. Just put it there." He said and went back to playing.

"Here. You get one each with Leon. Is he in his room?"

"Uh huh."

"Don't play with your phone so close to your face."

"Hmm."

"Even if reading glass will still look good on you, you should cherish your eyes better."

Lucas pauses and looks at her.

"So you are trying to care for me now?"

"Yes."

"But dad is not here yet" He grins.

"What does that have to do with me caring for your eyes?"

"I know you only want to get close to us so you will get dad's attention." He hugs his pillow.

"And once you do that. You'll just stop caring."

'This twisted child. Wait ..I am the one who let him become motherless at such an early age. I should be more patient with them.'

"Alright. How about I promise you that as long as I am your mother, I'll care for you more than anyone else."

"Who would believe you?" He snorts and rolls his eyes.

'There's not much time before I divorce. Maybe...maybe I should try harder for the kids? I know I said it wasn't my problem..'

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Lucas folded his arms.

"I'm just thinking that it must have been really hard for you to be civil to me. Thank you."

She smiles and walks away.

But Lucas flares up and follow her.

"What do you mean?!"

"What?"

"Don't play dumb. What do you mean by what you just said?"

"No. I know you are still grieving for your mother. She is an awesome person and you love her alot. Then someone like me just falls out of nowhere and starts saying I'm your mother and you are my kids. I never thought about it in your perspective and always think you are just rude to me cause you hate me. But I guess you are holding so much more just to not curse at me everytime. Thank you, Lucas. I'm sorry I'm not sensible enough as an adult."

"You are just a disgusting pig!" Lucas shouted.

"Well...alright."

Amara turns around and walks up the stairs. She doesn't want to fight on the stairs. So many shows, series and movies show that fighting in the stairs is always followed by death or hospital flags.

Lucas watches Amara left and he starts tearing up.

"Wait.." he runs after her.

"I....I'm sorry."

He said, pulling her hand.

"Ah!" Amara grabs the handrail and holds Lucas' hand tightly.

Amara smiles.