Bonus 6

I sit on the couch, cradling a cup of tea in my hands, and watch as Devon encourages our six-month-old son, Theo, to crawl. Devon holds out a plush lion teddy, its bright yellow mane catching Theo's attention. Theo's blue eyes—eyes that resemble his father's—lock onto the toy with intense concentration. His tiny black-haired head bobs as he contemplates the challenge before him.

Devon coos at him, a tender smile on his face. "Come on, Theo. You can do it, buddy. Come get the lion."

Theo wiggles, his little feet shuffling on the carpet, and I can't help but smile at the sight. Yet, beneath my smile, a storm of worry churns. The past two weeks have been agonizing, knowing there's something wrong with Devon that hasn't been diagnosed yet. I've watched him struggle with debilitating headaches and vision problems, and the fear of what it could mean is unbearable.

I see Devon wince briefly, a hand coming up to rub his temple. He quickly hides it, but I've learned to notice the signs. My heart aches, wishing I could take his pain away. The endless tests, the doctor visits, the MRI yesterday—it's all been a blur of anxiety and helplessness. We're waiting for the call that could change everything, the call that will tell us the next step.

Some nights, I lie awake beside him, listening to the rhythmic rise and fall of his breath, memorizing the sound as if it might slip away from me. Other times, I wake in the middle of the night and snuggle closer, pressing my ear to his chest just to hear his heartbeat. It grounds me, reassures me, even as the dread of the unknown looms over us.

"Darling, are you seeing this? I think he's actually made progress," Devon's voice suddenly breaks through my thoughts.

I blink, bringing my focus back to the present. Theo's determined expression is adorable, his small feet pushing off the ground as he shuffles forward. I set my tea aside and move to sit next to Devon on the floor, my heart swelling with pride and love as I watch Theo inch closer.

"Yes, I see it," I say, my voice warm with affection. "He's doing so well."

Theo's little arms tremble with the effort, but he keeps going, his eyes never leaving the lion. When he finally reaches us, Devon scoops him up, his face lighting up with pure joy.

"You did it, Theo! Such a good boy," Devon praises, kissing Theo's forehead. "I'm so proud of you."

I lean into Devon, resting my head on his shoulder, and wrap an arm around both of them. Theo giggles, a sound that never fails to bring light into my darkest moments. Watching them, I cling to this precious scene, cherishing every second. Theo nestles into Devon's chest, his tiny hands clutching the lion teddy.

Devon gently places Theo back on the floor and cradles my head with his hands. His touch is soft, yet firm, as he leans in and kisses my lips. "I know you've been thinking a lot about me," he says, his voice a soothing balm to my frayed nerves. "I know you're worried, but it's all going to be fine.

I want to believe him with every fiber of my being. I clutch his shirt, feeling the familiar fabric beneath my fingers, and the emotions I've been holding back start to surface. "I can't lose you," I whisper, my voice breaking. Tears well up in my eyes as I look into his, searching for the strength I need.

Devon smiles gently, kissing me again. "I'm not going anywhere, Evelina. I promise. I'll always be right here by your side, watching Theo grow."

I stroke his stubbled cheek, my heart aching with fear. "What if it's a tumor?" The words slip out, raw and desperate.

He sighs, his eyes reflecting a mix of determination and tenderness. "If it's a tumor, then I'll fight it till my last breath."

Panic surges through me, and I shake my head, the reality of our situation crashing down. "We're supposed to grow old together," I plead, my voice trembling. I take his hand, holding it tightly. "You said you wanted six kids. We were supposed to have more."