Story XII

The snow covered trees shimmered as we drove past. I was driving down the highway, with no destination in mind. Nico and I had gotten bored of our apartment and the surrounding sights. We needed something new. So, we decided to get in the car and just drive. We had no place we wanted to go, and at first everything was going well. But then I got lost. It was starting to get dark and I had no idea where I was. I had been driving down this old country road for a while and Nico had fallen asleep.

He was sleeping lying sideways with his car seat reclined. A small smile graced his lips as angels guarded him from up above. I couldn't help but wonder what he was dreaming of. His ink black hair flowed over his features like water against a rock. With each breath, his hair puffed out of his face. He was stunning.

I turned my attention back to the road and saw a sign advertising 'The Jackson Inn–Next Exit'. I exited there and eventually found the place. It was a small blue cottage, surrounded by trees and snow.

I turned into the small parking lot and switched off the ignition. I leaned over and gently stroked Nico's cheek, hoping to wake him up enough so we could head inside. He grumbled and turned onto his back. I chuckled and grabbed the backpack of clothes and toiletries we brought, from the backseat. I unbuckled and stepped out of the car. The cold air hit my face as I raised my scarf up higher and pulled by beanie down to cover my ears. I made my way over to the passenger side and opened the door. Nico was still sleepy, but he fluttered his eyes open and acknowledged my presence.

"Come on Neeks, we're stopping for the night," I nudged him gently and he scowled at me. "If you don't get your butt moving, I'll have to carry you," I whispered in his ear.

"Ugh," he grumbled, still not moving. So, I promptly scooped him up. He was surprised at first, but then wrapped his arms around my neck and settled his head in the crook of my shoulder. I smiled and slammed the door shut with my foot, then shifted him to my hip in order to grab the key out of my pocket to lock the car.

I walked over to the entrance and opened the door, still holding Nico. The moment I stepped in, the smell of chocolate chip cookies hit my nose and the warmth spread through my body. The place was a lot bigger on the inside. Off to the left was a living room with sofas and chairs surrounding a beautiful and crackling fireplace.

I wipped my feet on the welcome mat, then walked up to the desk that was near the entrance. There was a small silver bell, which Nico rang. Soon after, a lady came out. She was stunningly beautiful in a mom sort of way. Her medium black hair, streaked with gray, was curled at the ends and was styled with a green bandanna. She wore a bright smile, which lit up her sea green eyes. She was wearing a green and blue sweater which showed off her pregnant belly.

"Hello," She greeted, "what brings you here this evening?" she asked, holding a plate of cookies–which were blue, for some reason.

"We just need a place to stay for the night," I said, returning a smile.

"Of course, why don't you two warm up by the fire with a plate of cookies while I get your room situated," she led us over to the couch. "What can I call you two dears?"

"Oh, I'm Will," I said, placing Nico down on the couch, before sitting down as well. The moment I did so, Nico wrapped himself around me. I chuckled, "And this is Nico,"

"Well, It is nice to meet you Will, Nico" She smiled, placing the cookies down on the coffee table, "You can call me Sally,"

"It's nice to meet you too, Sally," I said.

"Well. I will go get your room setup, in the meantime, my son should be around here somewhere. I'll have him bring you some hot chocolate while you warm up," She gave us one last bright smile, before hurrying off.