Chapter 20

Verna walked into the mansion that she and Rufus were staying at during their visit to Midgar. Upon entering she released her torcher from her feet; that is her heels. The girl wiggled her toes at the sudden freedom that encompassed her feet. She gave a small smile, one that disappeared when she looked over at Rufus.

                She bit her lip and looked away. Verna couldn’t exactly grasp exactly what he did in the limo, or why he did it. It frightened her witless. Now that her parasympathetic nervous system kicked in she was able to analyze the situation calmly.

                “I prefer a woman who knows how to dress herself, and not look like a prostitute, and who has some actual standards.”

                Those words echoed in her mind. Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair and made her way to the guest room with her thoughts running. Was he seeing if she was suitable enough to be in his very presence? It seemed rather egocentric; then again that was his personality. She couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened if he deemed her not to have standards. Would he give someone else the permission to slap her as he gave her to slap Scarlet?

                Verna opened the door to her bedroom and walked in. Her eyes glanced over to the flat screen television. Pursing her lips together she turned it on with the remote that was conveniently resting on the end table. The channel that was currently set on the television was not deemed suitable to her tastes; it was some trash show about pregnant teenagers. Were girls really that susceptible to lowering themselves to their primal instincts these days?

                Shaking her head, Verna scrolled to where the more educational channels were. Documentaries were something of which she favored. Unfortunately for her, these so called scientific channels seemed to be more interested in showing the lives of people who wrestled gators and had to have sub titles to understand a single word uttered from their mouths. That or some person with the most…unique hair claiming everything that has happened was due to an alien of some sort intervening.

                Verna’s eyes lit up as she found a documentary suited to her tastes. She selected the channel and watched it as she stripped from her dress. Standing in her underwear she grinned seeing it was indeed a psychology documentary – focused mainly on stress.

                Verna walked over to the wardrobe and took out some clothes and dressed into completely cleaned clothes. She sat back on the bed making note that she’d take a shower in the morning. Now she just wanted to watch the documentary without any interruptions.

                But at times life can be a cruel bitch. At that very moment, right when Verna became extremely comfortable on the plush bed, a knock sounded on the door. Verna buried her face in a pillow and gave a scream of fury from the interruption. Begrudgingly getting up from her spot, Verna sulked over to the door and opened it.

                “What!?” She spat at the intruder on her time of watching the documentary.

                Rufus raised an eyebrow at her sudden fit of rage, “You’re in a foul mood.”

                “If that’s all you want to say to me then leave!” Verna fumed as she glanced back at the television, still trying to take in all of the information it had to offer.

                “It isn’t all I have to say to you.”

                “Then spit it out, I’m in the middle of watching a documentary,” Verna crossed her arms – a body position that tells other people not to approach them.