Chapter 33

The first thing that she noticed was the putrid smell of disinfectant. The smell overwhelmed to the point where it awakened her from the remaining slumber that consumed her. A small moan escaped her lips as she began to allow the light to force its way through her eyes. She blinked once and then twice as she became used to the light. Slowly sitting up she glanced down at her leg – which was itching to an annoying degree.

                “It’s broken,” She spoke simply, stating the obvious. “At least Heidegger and Scarlet are gone.”

                The girl shot her head to towards the sound of a door opening. A frown etched its way onto her face. It was her uncle, not who she really wanted it to be. The fatter man managed to sit in a small chair by the bed. In his hands he had two glasses of water. One of which he handed to Verna.

                Verna quickly gulped down the liquid to try and sooth her dry and scratchy throat. Gasping for air she looked at her uncle, he had yet to say something. There was something wrong, she could tell.

                “What is it?” Verna narrowed her eyes at her uncle’s silence.

                He took a moment and then opened his mouth to speak, “Three of the managers of Shin-Ra died last night. Not to mention Rufus Shin-Ra is now missing.”

                “Missing?” Verna’s eyes opened wide, “They don’t think he’s dead?”

                “They’re not declaring anything until they can find his body,” her uncle shifted and crossed on leg over another. “I know you were a part of two of the deaths, Verna.” Verna cast her eyes down. “And you do realize there might be some consequences with that; don’t you?”

                “I--,” Verna started, but paused for a second or two. “They attacked me. If I didn’t do something I would have been dead.”

                “Will Shin-Ra really see it that way? The Turks’ boss was Heidegger, they could go after you and—.”

                “The Turks won’t do anything,” Verna shook her head. “They’ve helped me in the past, even against Heidegger’s orders.”

                “That’s because Rufus was alive,” Her uncle crossed his arms. “He’s not here anymore, so the Turks might see things differently. They will find you and they will kill you, Verna.”

                “But…” Verna trailed off.

                At that moment a door managed to open against the tension that was in the room. A nurse walked in and glanced at Verna. The nurse gulped from the tense atmosphere of the room.

                “I hope I’m not interrupting anything, but the doctor wants you to start using your leg. He says it’s important for you to exercise it, so you won’t experience atrophy in your legs. You’ll probably only start by putting a little weight on it.”

                “I’ll walk on it,” Verna shifted so she could get out of bed.

                “No,” The nurse tried to place her hands on Verna’s shoulders. “If you do that you could cause more damage.”

                ”If I don’t I’ll cause more damage to the world,” Verna shot back and forced the nurse’s hands off of her shoulders. “My body doesn’t matter. Besides, we need everyone to evacuate Midgar before it’s too late.” She looked over to her uncle, “What did your friend say?”