White Knight

The next morning, Mary was woken up by a banging headache. She had gotten barely any sleep, as she had been tossing and turning and wondering, why Clary was still holding on to her hate. Mary was also wondering what was going to happen to her and Severus. She had indeed confessed to Clary and Alison that they had kissed, and that Severus had declared the deal between him, and Clary undone.

Will Clary go to Professor Dumbledore? And if she will, what will Dumbledore do after finding out about Mary and Severus' relationship?

Reluctantly, Mary opened her eyes and blinked them in the blinding light. She took a deep breath before squeezing her hands into tight fists and rolling over her side.

Seeing that the bed in which Clary slept was empty, made Mary's stomach twist.

"She's gone to breakfast", said Alison, who was sitting at the end of her bed, tying her shoelaces. Alison's words sent relieving waves throughout Mary's body. Hoping to catch Clary before she left breakfast, Mary jumped up and started gathering her clothes.

"Alison", Mary started, hoping to get her friend join as her White Knight, but was cut off by the black-haired girl.

"Yes, I can", she said and gave Mary an encouraging smile. Mary stared at her, still wondering how Alison always seemed to know what Mary was thinking and gave her a thankful nod.

Quickly, Mary and Alison dressed up and packed their schoolbags before heading out the Girls' Dormitory.

****

"Good morning", Mary said stiffly as she sat down opposite of Clary in the Great Hall. Clary, who was currently sipping boiling hot tea, turned her blue-grey eyes to Mary.

"Morning", she said between sips. The tone of her voice and the blank look on her face told absolutely nothing about her current mental state. Remembering the cold flames in her eyes as she listened to Mary's story last night, blank look seemed to be an improvement.

Mary glanced at Alison, who gave her an encouraging nod, and cleared her throat.

"Clary", she started, but was interrupted by the most surprising sight she had seen in a while. Well, that was a lie. There was hardly anything that could beat the troll inside the castle, but on the other hand, Mary hadn't actually seen the troll.

"Good morning, Miss Montgomery. Smith, Murphy", said Severus, who was standing next to Clary and looking down at the three Slytherin girls. The trio stared at Severus in shock. None of them would've expected Severus to approach them like this, not in public. Again, that might be a wise call. It was less likely that any of them would refuse his demands whilst being surrounded by their fellow students.

"Good morning, Professor", Mary, Clary and Alison said in unison.

"Miss Montgomery, Miss Smith, I'll expect to see the both of you in my office at six o'clock tonight", Severus announced, causing Mary and Alison change confused looks.

Severus eyed the three girls for a while, before nodding sharply and walking away.

Clary, who seemed to have momentarily forgotten that she was supposed to be angry with Mary, turned her eyes to Mary.

"What do you think he wants?" she asked. The numbness within her voice had disappeared and replaced with shock and confusion, maybe even a hint of adventurousness. Alison, a knowing smirk on her face, looked at Clary with a raised eyebrow.

"Isn't it obvious, my love", she said and licked her lips. "Professor Snape here clearly wants to renegotiate the terms of your agreement."

****