chapter 29: fighting for life

As the medical team began preparing Sarah for surgery, Lucas stepped aside, giving her one last reassuring look before they wheeled her away. He watched the doors close behind her, his heart pounding in his chest, silently praying for her and the baby.

Minutes felt like hours as Lucas paced the hallway outside the operating room. He thought about all that had led up to this moment—the months of support, the unspoken love he had for her, and the helplessness he now felt as he waited for any news.

Hospital – Surgery Waiting Room

Tristan rushed into the hospital, his heart pounding in his chest. The sterile smell of antiseptic filled his senses as he made his way to the waiting room where Lucas sat, his face pale and drawn. The moment Tristan spotted him, he hurried over.

Tristan: (breathless) "Lucas... where is she? How is she?"

Lucas stood, the weight of everything pressing down on his shoulders. He looked at Tristan, his eyes filled with a mixture of anger and helplessness.

Lucas: "She's in surgery, Tristan. The doctors are doing their best, but..." (he sighs, running a hand through his hair) "It's out of our hands now. They're trying to save both her and the baby."

Tristan swallowed hard, the gravity of the situation settling in. He felt as though the walls were closing in, suffocating him with the weight of everything he'd ignored for far too long.

Tristan: (hoarsely) "This is my fault. I... I should've been there for her."

Lucas looked at him sharply, his voice cold.

Lucas: "You think?" (pauses, then softer) "She came to you, Tristan. She wanted to tell you about the baby. But you brushed her off like she didn't matter. Now she's fighting for her life because of all the stress she's been under."

Tristan clenched his fists, guilt gnawing at his insides. Every word Lucas spoke cut deeper than the last.

Tristan: "I know... I know I messed up. But I'm here now. I need to be here for her."

Lucas's gaze softened slightly, though the tension between them remained thick.

Lucas: "It's not about what you need, Tristan. It's about what Sarah needs. You better be ready for whatever comes next."

They both fell into a heavy silence as they sat in the sterile waiting room, the ticking of the clock on the wall echoing loudly in the quiet. Every second felt like an eternity. Tristan's mind raced, memories of Sarah flashing through his thoughts—her laughter, her resilience, the moments he'd taken for granted.

After what felt like hours, the door to the surgery room swung open, and the doctor emerged. Both Tristan and Lucas shot to their feet, hearts in their throats.

Doctor: (solemnly) "Sarah is stable for now. We managed to stop the internal bleeding, but it was a close call. The baby..."

Tristan's breath hitched, and Lucas stiffened beside him.

Doctor: (continuing) "The baby is also stable, but we had to deliver early. The next 48 hours are critical for both Sarah and your child. You can see her once she's moved to recovery."

Relief flooded Tristan, but it was mixed with fear. He had a child now, a baby he almost never knew existed.

Tristan: (nodding) "Thank you, doctor. Can we... can we see them both?"