CHAPTER 26

I couldn’t sleep the entire night. I was twisting and turning until morning.  He is now started to  take it upon my family. What can we expect from a person like him. I got up from the bed and looked at the clock, it’s only 5 in the morning.  I tied my hair and went to the hall, where I found Chacha sitting on the sofa.  I know he couldn’t have sleep last night , the baggy eyes of him made it evident. I went to the kitchen to make him a cup of coffee, but Chachi was already doing it.  Hearing my footsteps, she looked at me and smiled, which was obviously a fake smile. I served myself and Chacha coffee and turned to leave, but her words stopped me.

"Ishu, could you come with me to the temple?”. Her tired face and gloomy eyes express how sad she is right now. I just nodded to her and went from there.

I took a bath and got ready for temple in a simple saree. It’s only 6 and Mia is still sleeping. Chacha said he would look after her. It’s because me that my family is suffering made me more guilt.

If Dev was not in the picture, we would be a happy family. We spent our time sitting in the temple premise. My heart felt like it was being stabbed by the sadness she had.  I tried to find the piece of mind in the calmness of temple.  Being there made me feel a little at ease.  I will not be going back to him. I know chacha loved his job very much. But, to me, mental peace is everything.  I can not live there because I am afraid of being caught at any time by him. Staying away from him is the only option now. It’s may sound selfish but I have no choice. I will apply to any other company and  I have some experience and am confident that I will be chosen for a good position. So I can easily take care of my family. There will no need for chacha to go for office.
We returned home, feeling a little braver after making my decision. But I did not realize he had something planned for me. My phone has been ringing for a while, and I did not bring it to the temple.

“am I talking to Ms Ishara Mehra.”

“Yes”

"We are calling from NNB Bank to inform you that the property of your parents, which was in our care, has been sold to another party.”  My eyes widened in her statement. My body felt as though it would collapse at any moment as my heart began to beat quickly.  I quickly reached for the table's support.

“What are you saying. But the manager agreed to register it under my name. I have been saving the money for it.

"You can not just call me one day and say that." I shouted at the lady ,I don’t know who ever at the other side.

" Sorry, Madam, but we did not give you any written assurance” She asked me annoyed.

“I need to talk to your Manager. Please connect the phone with Mr. Fernandez”. He knows me. It was he who gave me the assurance.

"Mr. Fernandez has been transferred to another branch”.  He was my only hope.

"Could you please give me the phone number of the person who brought it...? Please it’s really urgent”
.

"Sorry we can’t disclose the details” She ended the call before I could ask again.

What will I do now. I can’t lose that property. I tried the number again, but the call did not go through. Tears threatened to come out of my eyes and I couldn’t control more.

It was my parents house. The house where I was born. Our home. My father was a businessman and my mom helped him.  He and his best friend were business partners.  Everything was fine until his friend decided to cheat him and put my father in debt. But papa tried his best to overcome everything. He never showed his tension in front of us. He only shows us that he is very brave. But everything fell apart when the bank took our property. I saw his all bravery shattered when bank took over our home. I saw my papa crying for the first time that day.  It was where my grandparents lived and where my parents began their lives. My precious days with my loving parents were spent there. My only memory about them was my home. 

My parents died in an accident after a few months. Chacha who is my papa's cousin adopted me. I once asked Chacha for help retrieving the home from the bank. Chacha knew the bank manager, who assisted in repaying the money through a monthly installment plan. Chacha has been paying it for years before I got the job. 50 lakhs was great amount of money for us and he managed to pay 25 lakhs. I had planned to close the loan within the next year, but I did not expect them to do this.  I don’t know what to do next. I can not let anyone have my house. My father built it, and I know his soul lives there. I again tried the phone to get the bank officer but they aren’t responding my calls. 'I will go to the bank and talk to them directly'. I immediately took my handbag and grabbed my phone.
Before I could put into my bag it pinched with message. It was him.

“ Hope you loved my second gift”.

Realization hits me. It was him behind this. How can I missed that he will be the only one will go this cheap for his selfish motives. My anger wells up in a rush. I threw the bag on the floor, and the intensity was so strong that the contents spilled out. My clutch on the phone increased.  The thoughts of killing him with my bare hands raised in my mind. He took something that very precious to me and I won’t let him go. I immediately dialed his number and he took it after two rings.

"Are you calling to thank me, dear?" A hint of mockery is slipping into his word and I mentally cringed at his choice of words. I tried not to lash out at him.

“What you want Dev? Do you have any slight idea what you are trying to do?" I asked in my pissed tone.

"I know what I am doing, and I do not need anyone to teach me anything." His arrogance echoed over the phone.

“ I used to think you are a terrible person. But now you showed your true color. I have never seen a more disgusting and noxious person than you.” . I heard his laugh as the response of my words. It’s only add oil to the fire. 

"You can not just steal my property. I need it back.” I continued.

“Steal...?” he pressed that word. “ I hadn’t steal anything from you. I purchased a property that was under the care of a bank and was ready to sell when they found a good buyer. I do not care if it is yours or not. I plan to demolish it and build a five-star hotel on the site”. His words hit me like a thunderbolt.

It was simply like pouring cold water on myself. No....No.... He can’t destroy my home. It was there that I lost all courage and began to shake like a wet bird. I know from his serious demeanor that he will do so.

“You can’t do that...”  I said in my trembling voice.

"I can, and I will. "It is now my property, and I can do whatever I want."  I could sense an arrogant smirk on his face.

“ Please, don’t do it. I will pay you the money. Please give me my property back. I will cancel my leave and come back. Please don’t do that.” My eyes were welling up with tears, and my clogged throat was preventing me from properly forming a word.

.

"I’m not going to sell that property or I don’t need your money. But I’m willing to give it to you on one condition.”  He asked but there is something in his voice that make anyone scare.

“I’m ok with all your condition” I said without thinking for a moment. My sole concern is my home.

“ Sleep with me