CHAPTER 28

Driti Arora

The sounds of alarm made me stir from my sleep and I slowly opened my eyes. It’s 7 in the morning and Sunday. I have no office today, but I need to visit the temple, Otherwise, my dadi will chastise me. She is a firm believer, and I have been going to temples with her since I was a child. Sunday is just a day for myself. It was spent simply going to the temple, shopping, and doing household chores, with the most interesting aspect being spending time with my niece Mia. But today I’m so lazy to wakeup. Whatever has happened in my life over the last few days has left me feeling very tied. I looked at the sealing, and it looked the same as my mind: blank. I don’t know how long I stayed like that.

I slowly got up and went to the bathroom to shower. I decided to wear a saree today for temple. I changed into it and did a quick touch-up.

  I was about to leave when the ringing of my stopped me and it was dadi

  I was about to leave when the ringing of my stopped me and it was dadi. A small smile automatically came on my face.

“ good morning dadi”

" good morning, how are you bachcha?”

“ I’m fine dadi. I was about to go to the temple. Have you had the breakfast?”

"yes bachcha. When are you going to come here? I really miss you, Driti." She asked me. I, too, miss her very much. She is my only family, and I have not been back in a long time.

"Soon, Dadi... Okay, I will call you after I get back from the temple." I was about to end the call when she stopped me.

“ Don’t cut the call.  Driti........do you remember Roshan ?. The boy from our neighbourhood.” She asked me hesitantly.  I don’t remember anyone named Roshan. I’m not that  close with anyone from my village. I went to boarding school, and my college was in the city, far from my hometown. So I was only close to a few families who used to visit Dadi.

" No, dadi, I do not remember. Why did you asked suddenly?”.  She does not bring up any boys' names in our conversation unless it is serious. I hope she is not thinking the same things I am.

“ I met him last day. He is very handsome and he....he still remember you. He got a job at your city.” There is glimpse of  enthusiasm and little hesitation in her voice.

“So?...... Dadi... I know where is it going. Another marriage proposal right ?. I’m just 25” . I said somewhat irritably.

"Yes, you are 25 and about to turn 26, and you are saying it is not a big deal. I’m your dadi not your mother . I am very old, and very concerned about your future. Indeed, you are self-sufficient and have a job, so you do not require help from anyone. But I’m your only family. When something happened to me one day, who would you have?” Dadi began her blackmailing, and I have been accustomed to it for a very long time.

" you are not old dadi and god is not going to call you so early and please stop this blackmailing. Are you not tired of using the same words over and over?” I asked playfully and let out a chuckle, which I am sure made her angry.  She is obviously very irate because the call remained silent for a while, So I decided to coax her.