CHAPTER 29

Dadi once again made a fool of me. She lied, and I easily fell into her trap. Now I need to explain him everything. My puzzled expression alerted him and made it clear that I was not expecting what he just told me.

“Ohh sorry you have no idea about the proposal right ?” he asked me gently. I nodded my head and he smiled at me.

"So Dadi made you come here by lying.  Since we are here, I will explain the situation”. The way he handles the situation demonstrates how gentlemanly he is.

"Driti, I really like you. I like you since my schooldays. I first saw you at a village festival when I was in tenth grade. When I found your address and came to meet you, I discovered you had gone for boarding. Then I saw you whenever you came on vacation. I was waiting for a good job, and last month I was promoted to this city. My mother and I met your grandma and she is fine with the marriage if you have no problems. I understand everything is so sudden, and I can wait for your decision.” I am at a loss for words after learning about the new revelation. He appears to be a gentleman, and judging by the way he speaks, I believe he is.

“ Roshan...... I don’t know what to say .... It’s really unexpected. I never expected to meet you in such a situation. To be fair, I have never considered getting married.”

" it’s ok Driti, don’t get stressed. We can work out this. I know you are seeing me for the first time, but you can not have love at first sight with me, can you? He asked me playfully which made me smile.

“ Roshan I’m sorry but I don’t have any romantic feeling for you. Sorry for saying it so bluntly, but I am in such a situation that I can not even explain it to anyone. I hope you will understand me.”. How can I say yes to a marriage proposal when I can’t move on from my past. He seems to be a nice guy and I don’t want to  destroy his life.

“Calm down Driti. I know you can’t fall in love with someone you saw just a moment ago. I was expecting this answer from you. But I blurted out everything because I was so excited to see you.”  His remarks made me feel bad for speaking up to him without pausing to consider my words.

“I’m sorry Roshan if my words hurt you.” I apologized to him.

“ Please dont...... You were just saying your opinion and I’m not at all mad at you”. I smiled at him.

“ See I’m new to the city and have not much friends. If you don’t mind can we be friends.”  He asked hopefully stretching his hands at me. I looked at his face and my eyes diverted to his hands. I shook it a smile.

“ yes we can be friends.” I noticed that he always had a smile on his face. 

“ So finally I got a friend here.” H said happily like a little kid.

"You said you have been in the city for a month, so how come you do not have a friend?" I inquired of him with curiosity. I know how he talks, and everyone is impressed by him.

"Actually, I was promoted to manager, and on the first day, I tried to act like a strict officer, and they have been afraid of me ever since, refusing to become friendly with me." He said faking a sad expression and it made me chuckle.

“ Ohh sorry I forget get order for you. What you like to have tea or coffee. You came directly from the temple, right? . How about I order breakfast?"  He inquired, concerned.

“ No Roshan. I don’t want anything. If you do not mind, could we leave?"  I asked and he nodded hesitantly. I picked my bag and turned to leave but his words stopped me .

“ Can we meet again. I really want to know about you”. I looked at him not knowing what to say. “I know Driti we are just friends but I really want know about you. We could know about each other. You can give me a tour to the city. If you are uncomfortable with it, we can drop the idea." Despite the fact that I became friends with him, I cannot be friends with someone who has feelings for me. I can not hang out with him because it will only increase his hope. What will I do now?.