Chapter 18: I Never Forgot

Mounted in the ground in front of us were Haku's and Zabuza's gravestones with Zabuza's devilishly big halberd resting blade first in the ground. Offerings of fruit were set up in front of them. A hand reached out to grab one but Sakura was quick to react.

She slapped Naruto's hand away, "What do you think you're doing!" she shouted angrily.

Naruto snickered but backed away, "But, Kakashi-Sensei?" Sakura asked slowly, "Are these two correct about ninjas?"

Kakashi ran his fingers through his pure gray hair, "A shinobi isn't supposed to pursue his own goals, becoming the country's tool is most important. That's the same for the Leaf Village," he said solemnly.

"Is that what it really means to be a true ninja?... You know what? I don't like it," Naruto pouted.

"You believe that too?" Sasuke said skeptically.

"Well, every ninja has to live with this... just like Zabuza and Haku," Kakashi shook his head sadly.

Naruto's eyebrow creased, "Okay, I just decided but, I'm going to be a ninja in my own way!" his eyes sparkled with determination.

Kakashi smiled proudly.

"Thanks to you guys, we were able to complete the bridge but it's so sad to see you go," sniffed Tazuna.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Kakashi smiled, trying to keep things... not mushy.

"Don't worry we'll come to visit!" Naruto mumbled through his teeth.

He was close to tears, "What a wimp, and he has the face to call himself a ninja," scoffed Liz, as she laughed at Naruto.

"Y-you," a pause, "B-better," Inari mumbled back, also close to tears.

Inari and Naruto were both struggling desperately to restrain their farewell tears.

"I-inari, you're sad right? It's okay to cry," Naruto said, trembling.

Inari looked as if he was suffering from muscle spasms, "I'm not going to cry! But, Naruto, you can cry too!"

Naruto spun around quickly, "Fine... later" a heard the slightest intake of breath through an emotion-clogged nose.

Liz and I turned to wave last as we left across the new bridge. I watched as Inari fell apart into tears and then I suddenly remembered something.

"Elvira! What are you doing?" Liz cried from somewhere behind me.

I kept on running and stopped in front of Inari to pull something hard out of my pocket.

"Here, I know you must miss your dog," I smiled as I put the little wooden dog carving into Inari's tear-soaked hand.

With that I flipped back and caught up with Liz and the others, I turned back around to wave and saw that Naruto was also in tears, sporting the same expression as Inari.

"When did you make that?" asked Liz quietly.

"Sometime ago when I was helping Naruto train," I replied.

"You've changed. I don't remember you being this considerate of little kids since... nevermind," Liz amended quickly.

"What?" I asked, curious.

"It's nothing, I'm remembering something else," she said.

I nodded in understanding and turned back to the road.

"Yay! Let's get back home quickly so that Iruka can buy me some more ramen! And I can tell Konohamaru about my legendary feats!" cheered Naruto, skipping around excitedly.