Chapter 70: Unstoppable

I was vaguely aware of the bustling around me as strangers in white coats gathered around me, shouting commands and spouting nonsense.

Who are these people? What do they want?, I thought but another shock of pain wiped away my consciousness.

"Her mind... she nearly lost it," I heard Tsunade's voice waft in through the closed door.

My chest was aching but I could remember now.

"It was thanks to Liz's quick thinking that I was able to save her in time... the damage could've been permanent," Tsunade said, her voice filled with sadness.

"Did her old memories return? The ones she had before she came to Konoha?" it was Liz's voice.

There was no answer, just a long, tired sigh.

"So... he left," it was Shikamaru's voice.

I felt something wet on my cheeks and realized that I was crying.

"This is all Orochimaru's fault," Liz kicked something.

"She should be okay by now. Once she wakes up, I'll have her stay in the hospital so I can keep an eye on her... but I need you two to lead the next mission," Tsunade's voice was serious and firm now.

"Lemme guess, you want us to bring Sasuke back?" Shikamaru sighed.

"Of course, I would've gone even if you didn't assign the mission to me," there was a moment of silence, "I don't want to let Vira suffer anymore," she murmured.

"Well, the mission, however, has to be completed quickly above all else. There will be a high possibility of running into trouble," Tsunade warned.

No one spoke.

"This isn't the first time something like this has happened. There is also a possibility that Orochimaru's henchmen will be showing him the way," Tsunade continued.

"Then, for this mission I'm going to ask for a team comprised of only Jounin and Chuunin," Shikamaru requested.

"I can't do that," was Tsunade's frank answer.

"What?! Why?!" Liz and Shikamaru cried at the same time, then they hushed their voices, remembering that I was still inside.

"You should know, most of the Jounins and Chuunins are out of the village on missions while we have a few important ones that stay here. I'll give you two thirty minutes to gather as many worthy Genins as you can and leave immediately," Tsunade said with authority.

"Well, this is going to be troublesome... but since I know him and he is Liz's teammate, I can't let it be. We'll do what we can," Shikamaru promised.

I silently kicked aside the covers, my one-piece was still on, I just didn't have my weapons.

"Three Chuunins shouldn't be too bad," I said as I slid the door open, much to Tsunade, Liz and Shikamaru's surprise.

"What are you doing out of bed?! Get back in there!" Tsunade commanded.

I shook my head calmly, "I'm sorry, I can't do that."

"This is an order from the Hokage! Go back to bed!" Tsunade said, her eyes flashing.

"I'm going no matter what happens," I said firmly.

"Vira, you can't-" Tsunade cut Liz off with a raised hand.

"If I have to, I'll go as a Missing-Nin," I said stubbornly.

"I'm not joking. I will break your leg," Tsunade threatened.