Chapter 29: A Close Call

Naruto splashed into the water in just his boxers. He flopped around, struggling to catch fish. One fish jumped out and Sasuke managed to put a kunai through it.

"That's not enough, do it three more times, we need to have food for later as well," Sasuke commanded to Naruto.

"This is really tiring! You do it!" Naruto complained.

Sasuke looked at me and smirked, "Sure," he answered and began to take of his shoes.

"That's not necessary," I said calmly and pulled four kunais from my holster.

I looked intently at the water for a minute and my hand flashed out. Four fish were speared neatly with my kunais.

"Hey, Sasuke, stop making Elvira work, why don't you jump in and get the fish?" Liz called from the little pile of firewood.

He looked at me nervously but then began to pull off his shirt. Sakura squeaked loudly.

"Naruto can get it since he's already in the water," I said pulling his shirt back down.

Liz pouted at me but she didn't say anything. I pulled out the three remaining kunais out of my pocket and waited for the right moment before putting them through three more victims.

"That should be enough," I announced and took off my shoes and waded mid-thigh deep into the water to retrieve the dead fish.

I picked up one of them and pulled it off of my kunai. I threw the fish behind me and Liz caught it in her hands. I was did the same with all the other fish but when I came to the last one, Naruto decided to splash me. I ignored him and threw the last fish to Liz and returned the kunai to my pocket.

I turned to face Naruto as he splashed me for the second time, "You're so boring, Elvira!" he whined as I shook off some of the water on me.

"Boring, am I?" I challenged and whipped out my blade and broke the surface of the water, sending a meter high wave crashing into Naruto, "How's that for boring?" a small smirk danced across my lips.

He shook his head sulkily, "Great, now I'm all wet," he complained.

"Well, at least you only have your boxers on, I still have my one-piece on!" I rebuked.

He blushed but splashed me again, soaking my hair.

"Naruto!" I cried, frustrated.

He snickered mischievously and I engaged in a heated splash battle with him. In the end, we both came out soaking wet.

I plopped down on the ground and undid the ribbon around my hair. I squeezed as much liquid as I could out of my hair and shivered. Naruto just put his clothes back on and toasted himself next to the fire. I shivered again as my wet clothes couldn't dry that fast. I saw Liz give Sasuke a look and he began to sidle closer.

I stood up immediately, "Liz, can you help me change into my spare one-piece, please? I don't want to catch a cold," I said, looking intensely at Liz.

Surprisingly, she refused, "No, ask Sasuke or something," she said turning her head away angrily.

Sasuke blushed but I didn't give anyone a chance to pipe up, "Sakura, can you help me?" I asked.

She gave me a peculiar look but otherwise agreed, "Okay," she answered as she followed me to an enclosed area of the woods.

She built a makeshift screen with some tree branches thick with leaves and helped me into my other one-piece quickly. We came back out before the fish had even finished cooking over the fire.