Chapter 29 : The Cost of Secrets

I was loading grocery bags into the trunk of my car, my mind drifting back to Charlotte. It had been days since the event at the Austin Financial Empire, and I had avoided her calls and messages ever since. Each ring of the phone and each notification brought a pang of guilt, but I couldn't bring myself to face her, to explain the whirlwind of emotions tearing me apart.

As I closed the trunk, I noticed a familiar van parked a few spaces away. This time, a man was leaning against the door, engrossed in his phone. Pretending not to notice, I calmly got into my car. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the man get back into his vehicle as well.

I started the engine, my heart pounding in my chest. I began to drive slowly out of the parking lot, glancing at my rearview mirror. The van was following me. Panic surged through me, but I forced myself to stay calm. Picking up my phone, I quickly typed a message to Leon, "I'm being followed. Sending my location now."

As I sent my location, I pressed my foot down harder on the accelerator, my car picking up speed. I turned at the next intersection, trying to lose the van. But each time I glanced in the mirror, the van was still there, a relentless shadow. My mind raced with thoughts of escape and how to outmaneuver my pursuer. I turned down side streets, weaving through traffic, but the van kept up with my every move.

In a desperate bid, I headed for a crowded area, hoping the traffic and pedestrians would deter the man from following me. I found a parking spot near a busy market and quickly pulled in, my heart racing. The van parked a short distance away. I got out of the car and merged into the crowd, walking briskly. I glanced back several times, seeing the man following me, his eyes locked on me.

I picked up my pace, my heart pounding louder with each step. I ducked into a narrow alleyway, hiding behind a wall. Moments later, the man appeared at the mouth of the alley, scanning the area for me. Seizing the moment, I sprang from my hiding place and delivered a swift kick to the man's leg, sending him crashing to the ground.

He fell to his knees with a grunt. I twisted his arm behind his back, forcing him to the ground. "Who are you?" I demanded, my voice shaking with anger. "Why are you following me? What do you want?"

The man looked up at me, a twisted smile on his face. "Better watch that pretty little ass of yours," he sneered, his tone dripping with menace.

I pressed his arm harder, causing him to grimace in pain. "Answer me," I growled, my grip tightening.

The man chuckled darkly, the sound sending chills down my spine. "You're foolish to mess with people like us," he taunted.

Before I could react, Jax appeared, his presence a wave of relief and tension. He grabbed the man's other arm, pulling him up and pinning him against the wall. I was stunned when Jax pulled out a gun, pressing it against the man's back.

"What the hell are you doing, Jax?" I hissed, my eyes wide with shock. "Where did you get that?"

"Don't worry about it," Jax replied, his voice steady. "Just back off."

"Stop it!" I said, my voice rising. "This isn't the solution. Put the gun away."

The man chuckled, his voice mocking. "Listen to the lady, kid. She's got more brains than you."

Jax shoved the gun harder into the man's back, his face a mask of anger. "Shut up."

Our argument escalated, voices rising as we struggled to agree on what to do. My phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out, seeing Charlotte's name on the screen. Ignoring the call, I looked back at the man, only to see him take advantage of our distraction. He shoved Jax aside and took off, throwing a parting threat over his shoulder. "You've made a big mistake!"