Chapter 30 : Home Comforts

Jax and Nudee arrived at my side, both sighing heavily. Nudee shook her head, her tone a mix of frustration and concern. "Engfa, you seriously need to take a course on how to manage a relationship."

Jax nodded, crossing his arms. "Yeah, it's like you're trying to set a record for most misunderstandings in a relationship."

I let out a bitter laugh, rubbing my temples. "I know, I know. I just... I don't know what I'm doing."

Jax smirked, leaning in a bit. "Well, you've got the 'messing up' part down to an art form. Maybe try doing the opposite of whatever you think is right next time."

Nudee giggled, nudging Jax. "Hey, that might actually work. Reverse psychology for relationships."

I rolled my eyes, but a small smile tugged at my lips. "Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. Really helpful."

Nudee placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Seriously, Engfa. Go see her. Fix this before you lose her for good."

I nodded, the weight of her words sinking in. After saying goodbye, I walked to my car and drove to Charlotte's house. My mind was racing with everything that had happened. As I parked outside, I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves.

Stepping out of the car an hour after I arrived, finally having overcome my hesitation, I headed inside the house and made my way upstairs to Charlotte's room. I hesitated at the door, my hand raised to knock. Instead, I slowly turned the doorknob and peeked inside. Charlotte lay on her bed, facing away from the door. I could hear her soft sobs, each one breaking my heart a little more.

Summoning all my courage, I entered the room and walked over to her bed. I heard her voice, strained and filled with pain. "Go away, Engfa."

Ignoring her words, I slipped under the covers and wrapped my arms around her from behind. I kissed the top of her head, feeling her tremble against me. "I'm so sorry," I whispered, my voice choked with emotion.

Charlotte didn't respond, her tears continuing to fall. I tightened my hold on her, determined to make things right.

"I hated hearing Mew talk about you like you were his," I confessed. "You're mine, Charlotte. You belong to me, and I just... I couldn't take it. Hearing him brag to everyone, acting like you were his property, and seeing him get away with it—it drove me crazy. I just wish you would have put him in his place."

"We should have just talked about it directly. If we had, we could have solved this problem much sooner. You know how complicated things are with my father. It's not easy for me either." She said, her voice filled with frustration.

"I know it's complicated. I do. But seeing him act like he owned you—like you were his to flaunt—really hurt me. The only thing I wanted to do that night was punch Mew, but instead, I ended up hurting you."

"Why do you always take so long to explain yourself? Why do you always have to hurt me first?" She asked, her voice filled with sadness.

"I don't know," I admitted, my voice breaking. "Maybe because I never feel like I'm good enough for you. We're so different, and I can never give you the luxury you deserve. I can't take you to fancy places or buy you expensive things. Mew can offer you all of those things effortlessly, and sometimes I feel like I can't compete with that."

Charlotte turned to face me, her eyes red and puffy from crying. "Shut up," she said softly. "I don't care about any of that. I'd rather stay in a crappy motel with you than a five-star hotel. I'd rather swim in a lake with you than be in Hawaii. You know I don't care about Mew. I never have, even before you came into my life. Can't you see? I'm in love with you."